Complete France Forum

Regulations On The CT For Cars Over 30 Years Old?

tasng4

I have just read in Practical Classics magazine that prior to 2009 the CT was voluntary for cars over 30 years old and that this changed to every 5 years during 2009 (bottom left page 6).

Can anyone confirm/deny this? If it's correct what do I have to do to get a CT every 5 years?

The last time I tested my 1975 MGB and 1966 Sunbeam the CT sticker showed a normal 2 year test interval.

Further to Chancer's reply below both cars are registered Voiture Du Collection.

Cheers.

There are others more knowledgeable who may correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have chosen normal registration for your cars as opposed to the previously restrictive voiture de collection regime so nothing has changed for you.

Others can advise if the lifting of travel restrictions couple with CT's now being required but only every 5 years whetehr voiture de collection would now be a  better regime for you.

For cars on CG Collection :

•    Contrôle technique every 5 years (as opposed to 2 on CG Normale)

For classics already on CGC, these must pass a CT at the latest in 2011, on the anniversary of the date they were first registered. So if your car was registered on 1st April 1969, you must CT it by 1st April 2011.

•    If you sell a classic on CGC, you must supply the buyer with a CT no more than 6 months old

•    If your classic recently passed a CT (e.g. if you imported it and registered it this year), that CT is valid for FIVE years from the date of the CT inspection.

N.B. However, as some folk have already discovered, the software at the CT centres hasn't been able to cope with this yet, so the blue windscreen stickers (vignettes) and the documentation will wrongly refer to a 2-year validity only. It is to be hoped this gets sorted sooner rather than later

•    You can drive a car on CGC anywhere you like, in France or abroad but exclusively for personal use : whatever that means. In practice don't rent out your Classic and check with your insurer if you are using it for buisness purposes.

ref (in French) at www.ffve.org/?option=com_communicator&menu_id=28&id=53&Itemid=124

Archived