Complete France Forum

Keeping UK registered car in France for more than 6 months

WendyG

Hi everyone

I travel back and forth between France and UK always leaving a car in France in case I fly out or get a lift. I am UK resident.

If the car should by any chance end up staying in France for more than the 6 months despite me not being with it all the time, would there be a problem?

Hypothetical at present but who knows? Might get taken to the Caribbean! or might be held up in UK due to illness.

Thanks for any views

WendyG

[quote user="WendyG"]Hi everyone

I travel back and forth between France and UK always leaving a car in

France in case I fly out or get a lift
.[/quote]Which bit of that is hypothetical [;-)]

[quote user="misplacedperson"]Tecnhically, you might have to register it in France. On a practical level, the only people likely to give you grief are your UK insurance company, should you have an accident.

[/quote]Technically there is no might about it.

Notwithstanding that after 6 months it will be in the country illegally to retain any semblence of legitimacy at all you will at least have to keep it UK road legal with TAX, insurance, and MOT which means taking it back every year and is it really worth all that hassle and expense just to avoid registering it in France ?

[quote user="AnOther"]Notwithstanding that after 6 months it will be in the country illegally to retain any semblence of legitimacy at all you will at least have to keep it UK road legal with TAX, insurance, and MOT which means taking it back every year and is it really worth all that hassle and expense just to avoid registering it in France ?[/quote]

I suspect that the OP may want to be able to drive the car in the UK - and hence the only legal answer is to take the car back to the UK to avoid going over the six months. The OP has to decide whether for them it is worth while to have a car based (and hence registered) in France that can be driven anywhere except the UK, or whether the need to be able to take it back to the UK is of vital importance.

Regards

Pickles

Sorry to crash this thread but I am in somewhat of a similar situation.

I have a Triumph TR7 and thanks to a posting by Ernie I now know I cannot get a CoC, so it will need to come in under the 30 year old rule which is not until February 2012.

However, it is highly likely that I will not have storage for it at some point next year so will need to bring it over to France and, if it is more than 6 months before Feb 2012 I will have to keep it illegally until then. Obviously, it will have insurance as well as RFL and MOT.

The one nice thing is that the headlamps are 7” round ones so only about £20 for a LHD set.

Perhaps one day we will have freedom of movement.

Paul

I did not say it was the same car being left in France - just that there might come an occasion when a car was left, for whatever reason, and went over the 6 months stay. That is why the question is hypothetical.

There is no question of a car being deliberately left for such a long period but as we all know the unexpected can happen.

[quote user="P2"]I will have to keep it illegally until then[/quote]Tut tut tut [:D][:D][:D]

Wendy, your original post was a trifle contradictory so sorry if I misunderstood you. Nevertheless, same car or different it makes no real difference, 6 months is 6 months.

Will you have a problem, well I think you know that the answer to that is almost certainly no, the hundreds if not thousands of Brits driving around on UK plates is testament to that.........but there will always be that chance if something happened.

[quote user="WendyG"]

I travel back and forth between France and UK always leaving a car in France in case I fly out or get a lift. I am UK resident.

If the car should by any chance end up staying in France for more than the 6 months despite me not being with it all the time, would there be a problem?

I did not say it was the same car being left in France - just that there might come an occasion when a car was left, for whatever reason, and went over the 6 months stay. [/quote]

40+ years of study and I am still no closer to understanding feminine logic.

Archived