Complete France Forum

Oh, bottoms !!!!

Iceni

Last month I returned to that small island off the W coast of big Yoorp to buy a car. It was registered as Disabled so I travelled to the nearest DVLA to change taxation class and buy a road fund licence for my trip to Dover. I also informed them that I would be exporting the car in a few days time. DVLA man said my new log book would be sent to my UK address in 2 weeks.

No sign of logbook within the promised time so I rang Swansea.

1. Forms had taken over a week to go from Suffolk to Wales so the clock did not begin ticking when I thought it would.

2. And it takes 4 weeks anyway.

Still no sign so rang Swansea again today. They will not be issuing a logbook as I have exported the car. I have to submit an application for an export cert and that will take 4 weeks.

When I asked the obvious question "why was I not informed of this in either of my 2 previous conversations ?" answer ="well, you should have been".

Is it any wonder that I drink?

John

Just wing it on the phone - call them up asking where your new logbook is.

"Export? what are you talking about?"

Deny telling them this, they must have mixed up their records eh? all you want is your logbook - you have the green "new keeper" slip still (I assume?) and a UK address and the previous owner will have sent of the old V5 with your details so I don't see why they could withold a V5.

Oh dave if only life were that simple. The export fact is "in the computer" and as any fule kno once it is "in the computer" let no man rent it asunder.

Why "they" do what they do or don't do, whether they are justified in doing or not doing it is irrelevant - it is life.

John - trying to adopt a fatal (?) attitude

Seriously, just phone them up and try it. Every time you call DVLA, you speak to a different person who has no idea what the situation is and from my experience very little interest either,  they only know what the computer tells them and its hardly unknown for the computer to have the wrong data there.

Failing that, call them back and tell them the vehicle is now not being exported...make up anything you like....your foreign job offer fell through etc etc. A little creative stretching of the truth will get you the results you

want - its not as if you are trying to cheat them out of money or

anything.

Alternatively, assuming you still have the green slip, fill out the form to apply for a V5 (V55 perhaps?) and post it off - KEEP A PHOTOCOPY OF THE GREEN SLIP THOUGH!.

[quote user="Iceni"]Wisdom after the event is the greatest gift known to man. John[/quote]

That's funny John, because from the comment you made after I mentioned  my airline booking problem, it appeared that you thought the gift after the event was the benefits to people like you who don't make mistakes. [:P]

[quote user="Iceni"]

Aaah, but I didn't make a mistake, I was truthful. Subsequent events seem to confirm that honesty is not necessarily the best policy.

John - or perhaps that is not the name I mean

[/quote]

Alright John (you got a new motor) In that case I apologise for interpreting the fact that if you hadn't said anything about exporting the vehicle till you needed to, you wouldn't have had the problems,  [8-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Just over 2 weeks ago I was told by Swansea that I could not have a V5 as I had the exported the car and must apply for an Export Cert, which I did. Then a V5 turned up allowing me to get my shiny new, temporary CG yesterday. Today  a letter arrived from Swansea informing me that I cannot have an export cert as they had sent me a V5.

Is this a good example of "a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity: Kafkaesque bureaucracies"?

John

Archived