Complete France Forum

Carte Grise - selling car

harryhill

How can I change my CG into my wife's name. It is in my name only. Does that incur costs? We want to buy a new car in France and I cannot be there to sign as I am working in USA. In the meantime we need to sell the car but it is in my name. Can anyone tell me if she can a: sell the car even though it is in her husband's name or she may part exchange it for a new one but does she need to have it in her name to do that?

There are exonerations from the costs of changing the CG on marriage or divorce but not as far as I am aware for the circumstances you describe.

For a trade in if it were my problem I would write a letter in French describing the circumstances, enclose a photocopy of my passport. Negotiate the price of the new car and trade in and then and only then reveal the problem.

For a private sale similar problems plus teaching your wife to sign your name upside down using her lefthand.

The costs depend of CV (Fiscal Horse Power of the Car) , age etc details below should let calculate it but as it totally dead money save new plates I would try selling first :

Tax Based on Fiscal Horse Power – Cheval Fiscal

I have been unable to a complete list by Manufacture and Model of cheval fiscal.  However ever if you use Google.fr and for instance ‘Occasion Ford Focus’ you should be able to find an advert for the make model and power that you need to check. Note that estates/ breaks frequently have different CF to the salons/berliners and that for cars like Golf GTIs the CF varies with how powerful the engine is. The best web list I have found is

http://www.fiches-auto.fr/essais-tests/

Armed with that information and the Department in which the vehicle is to be registered you can then use the information to find the cost per CF which at time of writing varied between €29 and €46.15 depending on location. The figure halves for vehicles which have are been registered for more than ten years old.

http://www.carte-grise.org/tarifs_cheval_fiscal_par_region.htm

Purchase of a Polluting Second-hand Vehicle

Since 2008 an additional tax (surtax C02) is made on the purchase of a second hand car and is due on issuing a new registration document. It is not due when a new certificate is required due to change of civil status (marriage etc) moving house or issuing a replacement It is calculated of the amount of Carbon Dioxide emitted each kilometre -  €2 for each gram of C02 between 200 and 250 grams €4 for each gram above  250. By way of example 253 gram per kilometre = €112 (50*2 plus 3* 4).The grams per kilometre figures is shown in UK registration documents. Link showing Malus for new polluting vehicles and charges for second hand vehicles should be checked to see if table above for  € per gram per kilometre of CO2 still apply

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F19911.xhtml

Your wife cannot sell or otherwise dispose of the car unless her name appears on the carte grise.  You can find details of the procedure for adding her name to the carte grise from HERE.

Once that's done, if you wish to sell the car then normally you both have to sign the carte grise and declaration de cession.  However, you can provide her with a simple proxy letter so that she can handle the necessary formalities without your signature.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Your wife cannot sell or otherwise dispose of the car unless her name appears on the carte grise.  You can find details of the procedure for adding her name to the carte grise from HERE.

[/quote]

I suppose the moral is - register in joint names to begin with.

John

• 3 months later...
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Once that's done, if you wish to sell the car then normally you both have to sign the carte grise and declaration de cession.  However, you can provide her with a simple proxy letter so that she can handle the necessary formalities without your signature.

[/quote]

Would the signatures have to be signed at the showroom, or could the OP just sign the CG before going away?

Archived