Complete France Forum

car rental

Wilko

Is this true re immatriculation ? I thought that the great majority of hire cars were either 60 or 76.

My understanding is that some years ago there were one or two departments which had cheaper road tax registration, and so the rental car companies liked to have their 'notional' headquarters there. This was made illegal, and later the road tax was eliminated. Now the department of origin is not even shown on the new license plates. People get to choose which one they want.

Rgds W

I've heard the same tale but don't know how true it is.

I am not aware of any 'road tax' or it's elimination, just variations of the cost's per CV between some departments which could, if one were registering hundreds of vehicles, possibly be worked to ones advantage.

Under the new registration scheme I believe you can register a vehicle in any department, not just the one in which you live, so if anything that would make it easier for hire companies to follow the practice.

We used to have to buy vignettes to put on the cars every year from the bureau de tabac. They always started on the 1st of Jan.

It was a sort of road tax, which I was told was originally introduced to help towards old age pensions, but I never 'checked' that out.

The price of the vignettes varied depending on the CV of the vehicule and could be quite expensive. After so many years they halved and then were free if the car was 'old'.

Stopped several years ago, but not for professional vehicules which still have to pay a sort of road tax. If they are not, then I am actually surprised that hire cars are not classed as professional vehicules.

And each dept decided how much these vignettes would cost and I remember that 76 was cheaper than elsewhere, hence the hire care companies registering there. I don't blame them.

[quote user="Wilko"] My understanding is that some years ago there were one or two departments which had cheaper road tax registration, and so the rental car companies liked to have their 'notional' headquarters there. [/quote]

Hire cars used to be registered in Marne (51) as it was the cheapest to insure. Not sure if that is still valid.

Archived