Complete France Forum

Fuel costs reduced on N route or Motorway?

just john

I enjoy motoring, especially in France, not only getting A to B but enjoy driving and the vehicles I'm in. Usually travelling up and down on the A28 cruising at 130kph, however it had become a tad tedious so tried a route change, via N10 Tours, Chartres, Rouen, feedback on another post was good, mileage was less, time was increased from 6 to 8hrs with the benefit that at N route speeds I presumed fuel consumption would improve, after all travelling at 100kph instead of 130kph I expected it. Sad to say that it was not the case, the single carriageway route to Chartres was pretty dire stuck behind trafic, roadworks, frequent stops and starts meant that if anything it was worse.
However recently did a motorway trip without deadlines and so decided to try the reduced cruising effect on fuel consumption and I have say it was pretty significant, cruising at 100kph gave almost an extra 100miles to the tankful, added an extra hour too, so I don't think I'll always have time to do it but it sure beats the economy and stress of the N routes.

Thanks JJ, I may reconsider my route plans next week in the light of your comments. I tested the N route with google maps and got 1 hour longer for my route, not so different from yours. Incidentally have you seen on google maps, when it produces a route you can grab the line of route and drag it to any towns you want to go through and it recalculates.

like JJ, I read the recent thread and decided to give Rouen a go last Sunday. Up to, and including Rouen, I was quite impressed, but the bit between there and Orleans was incredibly tedious. It is impossible to overtake the sunday gravel grinders on the single carriageway, although it's nice to avoid Paris.

My journey normally takes 15 hours door to door, and extending it by even an hour, let alone two, is unacceptable.

However, that said, we agreed that when towing the caravan, when we stop overnight anyway, it would be well worth while saving on fuel and tolls by going this way.

[quote user="Théière"]Tonyv, do you mean that stretch after Chartres to Orleans, (N154)  as most of the rest is dual carriage way is it not?[/quote]

Yeah, I guess so; I get to the stage where I forget where I've been, and can only just remember where I'm going[:D]

We've done the Paris route a couple of times but got snarled up. Both of us have absolutely no sense of direction so manage to get lost too - never a good idea around Paris. Despite one trip with a Tom Tom and a Garmin and the in car sat nav we still ended up Lord knows where. The Rouen route breaks up the boring autoroute for us and there is always the fun of the high winds across Spudland (the very flat bit either side of the stretch of plane trees) to keep you awake in the Winter months. We regularly do this route in 7.5 hours in a loaded up van.

Archived