Complete France Forum

Paying Motorway Tolls with Maestro or Switch Cards?

Dog

A friend is visting who doesn't use credit cards.

Is it possible to use Switch or Maestro cards?

I find the question boring but it means a lot to him and his family, I apologise if this has been asked before.

Maestro, no.  Swich, I can't see on the list so I doubt it too.

http://www.cofiroute.fr/cofiroute.nsf/fr/peage-moyens-paiement.htm

EDIT : Dog, I have a feeling that one of the credit card suppliers (could be Visa, I'm afraid I can't remember) will now sell you a card which is topped up with credit in any currency you nominate, which you put in in advance, in effect making it into a debit card.  Sorry I don't know more about this but it could be worth a Google?

An ordinary Visa or Mastercard Debit card will work though so I can't see why your friends can't get one of these from a UK bank (as I have from Santander and Nationwide.)

I thought that all debit cards in the UK were being changed over to Visa or Mastercard debit cards. Ours were last year. And as Mastercard and Visa debit cards are used in France, wouldn't they work for UK cards? I still hear people call their cards switch cards etc, but they no longer are.

I would always have a credit card anyway, just to have. Never use it other than for internet purchases and certain sellers who insist.

Our account is debited as soon as bill comes through, or I pay back early.

They are handy for holidays.

Archived