Complete France Forum

Autoroute breakdown

minnie

On Thursday we were driving north to the ferryport at Dunkirk and had just come through the payage South of Tours (Sorigny) when we heard a terrible clatter and pulled over. We were only 100 yds out of the payage. From the noise it was obviously serious and as we have a Citroen c5 (complicated engines) we asked the recovery guy to take us to nearest Citroen Garage. We phoned Assurance and the recovery guy spoke to them and they authorised 132 euros. As it was nearing noon he wouldn't take us directly there (14kms) but in the opposite direction (about 7kms to Monts) to his garage (small peugeot). He wanted us to use them and for them to organise car hire. He parked in a nearby car park and said come back at 2pm. We got back promptly but 2.30 came and went with no sign. We walked to his garage and he had his head under the bonnet of another car. He said he'd take us later in the afternoon but we'd have to pay 87odd euros. We eventually got to the Citroen at Chambray at about 4.30pm. They agreed to look at it early next morning so we found a hotel. Assurances & Citroen garage were superb but I felt we were taken for a real ride by the recovery driver - a totally unpleasant experience...Is there any point in reporting this unprofessional individual? We got home via hire car provided by assurance As for our car - it should be ready within a few days so a train trip to Tours will be in order.

Minnie:

It sounds like an unpleasant experience but breaking down some way away from a large town near midday is almost always going to mean a wait until lunch is finished.

And you might not get very far with a complaint about being taken to the "wrong" garage, as Peugeot has owned Citroen since 1976 and most Peugeot garages now deal with Citroens (and vice-versa). On the other hand I am not sure whether the Citroen C5 had a Peugeot equivalent, or whether the engine you have (whichever one it might be) was only used in Citroens and not Peugeots. But most Peugeot/Citroen engines are used right across the range (ie in both Citroen and Peugeot cars).

Sorry to be discouraging but it might be just as well to forget about it and be thankful that you will shortly be getting your car back.

Of course you should report this to the Assurance company, explaining your inconvenience and dissatisfaction after that you are in their hands since they provided the cover, you don't say if this was under warranty, but you might mention that if that was the best they can do you might look elswhere in future.

In fact Araucaria, I think some of the latest C5s even have Ford engines.  But if it was a hydraulics problem then certainly Citroen dealers are a bit more used to those - even though the cars do  have so much in common with Pugs now .

We had a similar thing happen when my friend's Ferrari konked out on the motorway - the tow just went to the truck owner's garage - there was no question of it getting to the Ferrari dealer in Paris until the local bloke had had a decco and decided if he could fix it.  Happily, he could, but I don't think the insurance was prepared to authorise a further tow until that had been established so you might well find that this is the norm, unfortuanately.  Still, no harm in complaining, as JJ says.

Your insurance company has little hold over the recovery contractor.

The autoroutes sell the franchise to provide recovery from each section of their road. The appointed garage then has the monopoly for attending breakdowns and/or  recoveries on their part of the road.

The prices are fixed by the Government and will include either a quick repair en situ, or recovery to the provider's premises. You may also request to be taken somewhere of your choosing if it is within 5kms of the nearest autoroute exit.

Obviously the garage will always try to get you to use their garage for any repairs. That's why they pay to "buy" their stretch of road, not simply to earn their Government regulated fees.....

It's unfortunate the Chambray falls outside the 5kms from the Sorigny exit.

http://www.dossierfamilial.com/auto/droits-demarches/si-vous-tombez-en-panne-sur-l-autoroute,983

Thanks very much everyone for your contributions. I was just furious that as our car was hanging on the back of his truck we were helpless. I know it is 10 years old but it normally is very reliable and one can get a lot of repairs done for the price of a new car! Anyway I've written to the insurance company complementing their emergency service which could not be faulted and just complaining about the recovery man (for what good it'll do other than getting it off my chest).

We let the train take the strain and had a comfortable train ride yesterday back to Tours. Excellent taxi service from St Pierre des Corps to Citroen Chambray. For anyone living in the vicinity I cannot speak highly enough of the service provided by this garage - they even washed the car! For what it's worth the insurance company passed my complaint onto Mondial - not that I'm expecting any result in view of the autoroute recovery rules!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived