Complete France Forum

Importing a caravan from UK

powerdesal

At some point in the (possibly) not too distant future I would like to import a caravan from UK. I understand the process wrt a car but..........

For starters it will mean towing a van back with my French registered car, but the van will not be French registered at that time, is this going to create a problem? SD, I think I need your help on the question of what the rules are / how to meet them.

The correct way to bring your unregistered caravan home is to apply to your prefecture for a certificat provisoire d'immatriculation WW and fit a rear plate displaying the WW registration number.  The certificate is valid for fifteen days to allow you to get the van home, then to and from the DRIRE etc.  In the case of any unforseen delay, you can obtain a second certificate, but that's all.

The other way is to put a plate on the back displaying your car's number and plead ignorance of the 500kg trailer rule if you're pulled on the way home and hope you won't get a ticket......[;-)]

I imagine that the provisional registration certificate will have to contain sufficient details in order to identify the actual caravan to which it refers - eg, make, model, genre, chassis number.

Sid has a carte grise for his caravan so he'll be able to tell you exactly what information it contains.

• 1 month later...
I am in the same boat with my horse trailer and need to go to the prefecture for a WW plate.

What documents do I need for this certificate d`immatriculation provisoire? I take it there is no need for any quittus fiscale form as was required when I re-registered my UK car here?

[quote user="Chancer"]

For a possible fine of €90 in the unlikely event that you get a tug and that the officer has had a bad day is it really worth the bother of provisional registration and rushing to the D.R.I.R.E. ?

[/quote]

We brought our English caravan here, towed behind a French car. I had been (wrongly) advised to put an English car number plate on the van. It took some pursuading for the insurance agent to get it covered but he managed it. (not sure what would have happened in the event of a claim being made.)

We survived a gendarm roadside check without comment.

... but then I am always lucky

• 1 year later...
I am resurrecting this old thread from last year.

We have now 'bitten the bullet' and ordered our new caravan in UK.

I believe that a C of C will be available ( Bailey Caravan) and I should get it before going to UK to collect the van on 1st September.

I am reasonably confident that I will have to get temporary 'WW' plates for the van before going, to allow it to be towed in UK behind our French registered car.

The question is, what paperwork will I need to get the WW plate. Obviously make, model, chassis VIN, C of C. As I wont have a receipt of purchase before collection, will this cause a problem?

Having checked many threads from the past on the subject the question arises of legality of use whilst in UK on WW plates for (say) 3 to 4 weeks before export to France.

Does a Manufacturers C of C remove the need for a DRIRE inspection after import for permanent registration?

As ever, I see the need for SD advice.

Archived