Complete France Forum

Citroën C 15 gear change linkage.

pachapapa

Last friday stopped at road intersection in Parthenay, on attempting to move off the gear lever was a bit sloppy, pushed vehicule to side of road, after observing that the command bar socket was detached from the ball on gear lever, after shopping returned and attached bar and lever with a bit of cable, on arriving home made a "semi permanent" repair with nylon cable ties and no problem since.

Question if I source from local breakers yard a control bar will it snap onto the gear lever and selector balls satisfactorily; assuming that the balls are case hardened and near to original tolerance and that sockets will be worn?

They usually do PPP unless they were made and sold as a complete assembly.

A worn one will usually plop on easily but also fall off just as easily so may be worth you keeping the mechanical retention as ceinture et bretelles.

A new one will be harder to fit but will remain, I dont know the C15 and my experience relates to other vehicles but I am guessing that the joint has to be popped to remove the engine/transmission, often even a new one will lose its virginity after a few removals and will henceforth detach with regularity

In theory, yes, but the reality in my area at least is that the only c15's in a breakers are the very oldest ones so the parts are likely to be very worn anyway.

It shares the same platform as the Visa GTi, which went on to become the Peugeot 205. Indeed many suspension and steering parts are freely interchangeable between the two, and I would wager that diesel 205's are more common in the breakers.

A short term repair that works well is to pack out the socket with tinfoil.

Thanks for info and advice.[:D] I am tempted to give it a try for a while with the nylon ties.

It was OK for 37 years but I get the impression that the grease and atmospheric pressure was keeping it on.

The 205 is a heads up, I knew about the Visa but in france profonde there are still C15 vanettes around.

Archived