Complete France Forum

How to tackle nerves with a "learner" driver

mogs

Any suggestions?

I accompanied our daughter today when she took to the roads, my heart was pounding, I think my hand didn't move from the handbrake and OMG when she approached junctions ;)

She has been passed off by the driving school to drive "accompanied" and in fairness she isn't used to driving an old banger, more a new small citroen! We all know that an old car feels very different to a new car I'm sure.

She has to drive 3000 kms before taking the test in a year's time, but how do I cope with my nerves?????

I tried with all three of our kids, couldn't cope with any of them. Scared the life out of me. The wife however coped well and I am pleased to say they are all three now very accomplished and experienced drivers.

Just shows what a scaredy cat I am. You have my sympathy.

I accompanied my partner when he learnt and I entirely sympathise. The less you interfere the better as it's all about them gaining experience. You just have to learn to look calm and nonchalant while the panic rises and your palms go sweaty, and rather than scream 'Move out, move out' say 'personally I would leave a bit more room but of course it's up to you dear."

There was just one memorable incident while my partner was learning, which went something like this:

"Waah, for fxxx sake get over!!!!"

"Don't you swear at me!"

Bang.

"What the fxxx was that?"

"You hit the bollard, and don't you swear at me either."

Woolybanana – I had thought of your suggestions (in fact I dived into a strict drink once we got back from the experience) but, not allowed to accompany whilst under the influence – I can see me becoming an alcoholic in the next year purely from stress LOL.

I like the idea of dark glasses might give that a go, or perhaps I should just keep my eyes shut????

Eurotrash – very funny anecdote!

Keep em coming!

I took my daughters out for first "lessons" to get them used to handling a car before they paid for a professional to prepare them for the test. They breezed through test. When my eldest told her instructor on the first professional lesson that I had said she got too close to obstacles, he told her that was because her judgement was better than mine.

I remember my Dad taking me out when I was learning. He always smoked a pipe, but never managed to get it lit until we got home. He was a very calm man,

I never went  out with family members, but did accompany a few female friends when they were learning and wasn't nervous at all. Don't know why.

Advice to OP - you drive to a really quiet area, then let the learner take over and practise turning, reversing hillstarts and stops etc.

mogs - don't is the only sensible solution.

1. Offspring are seldom adequately grateful for anything you do for them

2. You will teach her the bad habits you have acquired - everything has changed since your days behind the man with the red flag

3. Any mistake will be your fault

4. Find some other mug to do it even if you have to pay - silly me - of course you will, that's the only purpose of a parent

John

Thanks for all the advice, I must say perhaps my nerves will improve as I do it more and more ??? To be fair, she did fair better the last 2 times.

John I thought I should just mention that as you are in 46 (like us) perhaps you should keep an extra special look out (LOL).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived