Complete France Forum

Might be worth 'filling up' today or tomorrow.

Quillan

Claude Gueant recommends restricting the sale of gasoline and alcohol in the New Year

Seems concerns about people getting drunk and setting fire to cars over the new year has caused Gueant to consider closing petrol stations and also stop the sale of booze on New Years eve. Some places have already decided to do this anyway although in fairness it's in big cities.

http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2011/12/28/gueant-recommande-de-restreindre-la-vente-d-essence-au-detail_1623483_823448.html

Thanks for the heads up but I am having a break from torching my enemies this year, there are just too many and with the price of oil being what it is.................................. [6]

Some unexplained gut feeling forced me to fill up all my jerry cans with diesel and the small one with petrol a few days ago, when I read your posting I was dissapointed, I thought that you were going to anounce another refinery blockade, one of them has been in the news since I did my uncharacteristic bulk/panic buy.

Quote "

There were 1,137 cars burned in 2009, ten fewer than in 2008. "

PARIS - Call it the Parisian police force's version of cinéma vérité. In a major new effort to crack down on street crime, some 200 new CCTV (closed-circuit) surveillance cameras were switched on in the French capital. By June 2012, there are slated to be 1,455 across the city's sprawling neighborhoods, plus additional ones deployed on the banks of the Seine river.

The locations for these new cameras have already been chosen, after consultation with the elected leaders of Paris’ "arrondissements" (administrative districts). Location is a sensitive issue: if the first wave of cameras appears to focus on upscale arrondissements, officials promise that eventually "the distribution among districts will be satisfactory."

The 20 district police stations will be equipped with surveillance computers connected to the cameras via 480 kilometers of optical fiber. In addition, 2,500 trained police officers and firefighters will be allowed to view images captured by about 9,500 cameras located in the Parisian metro system and train stations. To allay fears about the protection of privacy, tapes will be destroyed after 30 days and an ethics committee will be created.

So far, the rather obsolete Parisian system of CCTV was mainly devoted to monitoring traffic. Cameras will now help to deter crime and help the police solve cases. Paris is still far behind London and its 65,000 CCTV cameras.

Its so good to see that they are getting to grips with the problem

All they need to do is change the crazy law that allows the cassoces (and Chancers [;-)]) to get paid out top market value by the state for their old broken down bagnoles when they set fire to them on certain days of the year, the problem would be solved at a stroke.

Coming out of Hyper U in Parthenay, stopped for petrol, noticed a man filling a plastic container with petrol.

I drew the cashiers attention to the neglect to observe the explicit instructions of the Minister of the Interior.

Anyway we all had a good laugh at the expense of the diminutive chappie and his right wing acolytes.

Archived