Complete France Forum

What would you do?

cooperlola

After a meeting today with the insurance company, I finally have a rough idea of the level of compensation I'm going to get.

This being France and there being laid down amounts for everything, it honestly isn't much.  However, I've long promised myself that I'll get a new set of wheels when the cheque comes through.

We currently run an ancient Fabia (11) whose clutch is on the brink of throwing in the towel for good and all and a Note which I bought with the cheque I received from the wreck of my Micra.  I now reckon I have a maximum of 25k€ to spend on car(s).  It's obvious I can't afford the Porsche I'd have loved but am tempted by a go-faster Renault.  A quick trawl around the net suggests that I could get a brand spanking new Clio RS for around 24k once I've paid all the new-car stuff (carte grise is about 1.7k plus another 2.3k malus on top).  I've also found a Megane RS with 9k on the clock for 25k which afaik involves none of the new car costs.

We could dump the old Skoda (rhd) and buy one of the above Renaults, or replace its clutch and get a new Megane RS and trade in the Note. 

What would you do?

Or maybe you've got a better idea for a bit of go-faster fun?  Bear in mind I have to have enough space to fit luggage plus a chair and/or mobility scooter into one vehicle or the other for long trips/holidays etc.

Oh to have been a celeb'.  Then I could have got ten times the amount just for having rude things written about me in a newpaper nobody believes anyway.[:)]

I'd go with what your gut feeling is telling you to get.

I've just found a 2000 Megane 1.6, 16v Alize Sport convertable. 43,000 miles from new, full history which has been in dry storage since 2009, and last driven in 2007.  I was offered it at silly money, but everybody had an opinion of what I should do, and they were telling me what they would buy. Of course given free choice, there's many other cars I'd have looked at, but this ticks a lot of boxes, was a very very good price, and I went with what MY gut told me. Some of the suggestions were from the sublime to the ridiculous (Caterham to a C3!!).

I think your choices look spot on, I'd keep the Skoda (shopping, parking in towns etc!!) and keep the Clio (better handling than the Megane, and way more fun!!) for Sunday best!!!

[quote user="NormanH"]I And I am trying to work out how to afford a mobility scooter
[/quote]Seriously now, invest in a trip to the UK or send somebody over there.  I brought back a Pride Go-Go (sorry - 1.5k new) from the Shopmobility centre in Redhill on my last trip.  Used once by a chap who then fell off it and put it in his garage, with brand new battery and charger.  Light enough when taken to bits for me to put in the car (heaviest bit is 13kg).  Wait for it....

£325.

My guy said he keeps promising himself a trip to France and would bring one down but you may be a bit far!  Whatever, I will send you his e-mail address.  Basically they sell to reinvest and re-fund the facility - scooter hire for shoppers in the UK - so he's a straight shooter.

My brother has been looking at mobility scooters, and said it would be cheaper to buy a quad, which he says has the added avantage of being able to go off road!! I suspect it's the battery technology that puts the price up, but when one considers they exist to asist people, you'd have thought they'd be more accessible!?

Coops, if you are looking for a LHD, have a look at the LHD place in Chesham, Bucks. My mate few over Dandare one way, bought a LHD Renault Clio, with 16 French plates and drove it back. Price much cheaper than in France, but ideal, being LHD. Your money might go further? Just a thought. xx

Well . . .  if it were me I'd keep the runaround Note, that way you'll have something reliable and economical you're already happy with.
 Next I'd join the Porsche club and chat to all my mates to find a decent used  PORSCHE-911-LHD- , and I'd get the Skoda on leboncoin, you really don't need to mess with it. Go with the dream, it doesn't have to be new, no need to spend all the dosh, if you don't get on with it after a while then you'd have had your go and could change for something a bit more practical like a Scirocco[:P].
A go faster renault might flash through my mind but after a day I know I'd find the Clio a very hard ride, uncomfortable, and not enjoyable to drive in traffic, and the megane RS a bit more comfortable perhaps but ghastly depreciation, no, no, no, lots of options below 20K the nearest I'd get to Renault in this class would be something from sister company  nissan/350_z or  /370z (aircooled seats!), er cheaper to run than a porker, quick enough to beat a boxster and put a smile on your face[:)]
Take your time and look around some more, the Toyota. GT86 is due out soon, check out a lease . . .

Coops, a good idea from just john,  join the Porsche owners club in the UK and see if you can get the heads up on a decent LHD 911.

In my experience LHD models in the UK are much cheaper than their RHD equivelant, it`s been a few years since I was a member but I think that you should be able to source an older model through them that would suit your budget. (in my younger days I`ve had two 911`s and two 944`s!)

Good luck with whatever you go for.

Dexter

Archived