Complete France Forum

Driving licence exchange

woolybanana

You need to ask.  My prefecture needed an attestation from the tax office (I cannot remember the number of this but I do remember that nobody had heard of it and it wasn't until I went into the tax office and described it that anybody recognised it for what it was!) to say I'd paid all my taxes (the form we get each year would not do under any circumstances, natch) also.  Sadly because the flippin' search facility isn't working I can't find the thread and I've looked in my files and can't find the forms either!  I pointed out to the woman at my prefecture in LM that this was nowhere mentioned on the national site but that held no water, as you'd imagine.

Bear in mind that you'll get a temporary licence while they do the paperwork and this isn't valid outside France so don't trade the license in if you're going on holiday - wait 'til you get back.

http://www2.equipement.gouv.fr/formulaires/fic_pdf/11247.pdf

Check out the above. I filled it in, took my passport & another form of ID to my local prefecture in Vannes, surrendered my UK licence, was given a receipt for it which covered the interim period, and 4 days later I got my french driving licence. No tosh about temporary licences or tax statements. No questions asked really. I could not believe how simple it was! Some posters here on previous similar queries seem to have been asked to have medicals etc. All unnecessary.

[quote user="Gardener"]The UK plastic card licence has be renewed every ten years , for which you need a UK address.[/quote]

... and has been pointed out on here many times, the UK licence expires at age 70, requiring short renewals, whereas the French one only expires with its holder! [:-))]

[quote user="Gardener"]I wouldn't bother at the present time unless you have to. Wait until the plastic EU licences are introduced in France, ( next year I think) , saves having to change it twice.[/quote]No, possibly quite the reverse !

Currently a French licence is for life so an exchange before 2013 will be a one off, and possibly free depending on your department.

Just like the UK photocard licence though the new French EU model licence will have a finite life, probably 10 years but they are free to decide on 5, 10, or 15, so depending on that, plus how old you are and how long you plan to live, you could end up renewing a French photocard several times - you can bet it won't be free either !

Oh, and it opens the door to mandatory medicals at renewal too.

EDIT: Crossed with Sid

I read an article about this recently I'll see if I can find a link.

I can't remember if it stated whether surrending the current French style driving licences for a new style one would be compulsory though.

The important parts of the article :

The new style licences start 19 jan 2013.

The will need to be renwed every 15 years.

The Interior minister hasn't decided (yet) if we have to pay for the licence.

Those already holding the old style licence have until 2033 to change to the new one.

I think that last sentence may prove to be the driving (excuse the pun) incentive for Brits to change their UK licence .

[quote user="powerdesal"]What is the advantage in exchanging a UK licence for a French one, if there is no legal reason for doing so ?[/quote]I had to do mine as I needed a medical.  It's useful as id for everyday if your passport is your only other official document of that sort.

You need S/D re the towing question but I think that's right.  The medical's a doddle, btw, and can be booked through the sous-prefecture.  The only result of mine is that the license says I have to drive with corrected vision so no forgetting to put your driving specs on!

Re the documents.  I know what the web site says.  I know what most departments want.  However, I also know that the Sarthe needs (well, wants anyway) this extra document.  Thus I still suggest to Wooly that he checks before making a trip/sending anything off etc, in case the Vendee has a similarly weird policy.[:)]

[quote user="Gardener"]The UK plastic card licence has be renewed every ten years , for which you need a UK address.[/quote]

As I understand the situation, the renewal is only a form filling exercise and DVLA only require a UK address that they can use to contact you, not necessarily where you actually live. With 3 x children and 6 x grandchildren resident in UK I don't think I will ever have a problem on that score.

edit: Over 70 ? the UK renewal is every 3 years ( I think)

[quote user="powerdesal"]I am ( was ) under the impression that the towing aspect of a French licence required a medical each 2 (?) years, is this so?[/quote]

It depends what you are towing. (combined weight 3.5tonnes).

I have a 2-berth caravan, max weight loaded 1100kg. With the car at around 1800kg I'm under the 3500kg limit and can tow on the normal car category. No medical required.

I may not have the caravan by the time I get to that age, or even feel like being bothered for that matter, but if I do I won't have to renew my licence and I won't need any other tests.

For me it's a no-brainer having a French licence and as already said it was simplicity itself to exchange. Why would I want a licence with an incorrect address on it; I live here not in UK.

[quote user="powerdesal"]As I understand the situation, the renewal is only a form filling exercise and DVLA only require a UK address that they can use to contact you, not necessarily where you actually live.[/quote]

If you can still use the address which is on your licence you MAY get away with applying for a replacement.

Try it through the interactive tool on the DVLA website: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022085ying for a new licence

My ten year UK photocard licence runs out next year and the last thing I would consider is applying for another one which will need renewing again in eight years time when I'm 70 then every three years thereafter.  What's the point of locking myself into a daft arrangement like that???

Nor will I be waiting until the new periodically renewable Euro driving licence comes into force this coming January as I'd be no better off.

So, I'll be off to my prefecture later this year to obtain a lovely pink French licence which, in my case, will be "for life" as I'll no longer be using up oxygen by the time it has to be replaced by the Euro licence in 2033.

Simple no brainer.....[8-|]

Maybe you will be an exception and be an excellent 'old' driver, but it would be the exception.

I know that there was a report a week or so ago saying how 'safe' old drivers were. Do I think so, no! I do not. It feels a bit like Mr McGoo, who never seems to be in an accident but leaves destruction in his wake.

I have seen one very good 'old' driver recently an old lass who was driving her car as I reckon cars should be driven. But the rest, well, get them (and eventually me) tested regularly.

And the number of 'old' people I know of now who have taken badly to having their licenses taken from them. They couldn't see properly, early onset dementia, do I want these people on the road. NOOOOOO! I do not. 

My Dad gave up his car at 80, didn't reckon that his reflexes were up to it anymore, which was true. And yet he was still running in international vet races and winning or in the first three and at the gym every day, fit as anyone could be in body and mind as anyone could be I reckon. And a good thing too, I'm glad he gave his car up then, and I'll do just the same.

Please people, be safe and if the family says, stop driving, it is probably the time, usually takes them far too long to build up the courage to say anything at all.

[quote user="idun"]

Maybe you will be an exception and be an excellent 'old' driver, but it would be the exception.

[/quote]

Don't worry. 

My eyesight is fine, I have no symptoms of dementia, I don't have big sticky out ears and wear a flat cap, and I only go out driving on Sundays so you're fairly safe with me......[;-)]

I take it you aren't 80 odd and full of yourself as to how good a driver you still are and how reckless everyone around you is. There will be exceptions, always are, but tests is the only way forward as far as I am concerned, that'd sort the wheat from the chaff.

Well, Idun, I think you've gone back to the UK and fallen into the "nannying state of mind". To promote mass "old-age-driver-euthenasia" fills me with horror, and whilst testing my be a way of keeping some people on their toes with regard to eyesight and latest legislative changes it does nothing to convince me that it will sort out good drivers from bad. You only have to look at recently qualifies drivers to realise how poor so many of them are, siiting the middle lane of the motorway for mile after mile with no traffic on the inside. That's just one example obviously.

I'd be embarrassed, nay ashamed, if I couldn't pass the current driving test in the UK, a little more difficult here becasue of the language, but nonetheless it wouldn't deter me from having a go if I had to.

Tests would weed out those with poor eyesight and bad reactions and those whose don't know the latest rules. But are you seriously advocating that thousands of people out in the country here should have the licences removed, thereby removing what is possibly their only link with civilisation and shopping? I can't believe I'm hearing this. My mother drove up to age 87, and I was quite happy to be a passenger with her.

No, I'm not 80-odd, and I am still (relatively) fit; I ride a bike (a racing bike, not a sit-up-and-beg thing), drive a car, and ride a motorcycle, and the thought that someone would want to take this away from me while I'm still capable simply fills me with horror. I'll sit a test only so long as everyone, including the young idiots, have to sit them.

Education is the way forward with progressive advanced instruction.

[quote user="idun"]I take it you aren't 80 odd and full of yourself

as to how good a driver you still are and how reckless everyone around

you is. There will be exceptions, always are, but tests is the only way

forward as far as I am concerned, that'd sort the wheat from the chaff.[/quote]

[quote user="idun"]

I have seen one very good 'old' driver recently an old lass who was

driving her car as I reckon cars should be driven.[/quote]I can scarcely believe I'm reading this. Could you please advise us of your qualifications both to judge the driving of others and be the guardian of public safety........................?

Somebody seems full of themselves that's for sure !

Archived