Complete France Forum

Clutch

cooperlola

Would your a local toutes marques be amenable to your buying a clutch assembly on the net and asking them to fit it?  I'm going to go ahead and ask him anyway but  just wondered if any of you had ever tried this sort of thing.  Mr C's has finally given up the ghost after 11 years.

From a colleagues recent experience in England.

After discussing fitment with his choice of garage, he went ahead and ordered the clutch assembly from elsewhere. The clutch was fitted, only to start slipping a couple of thousand miles later.

Then the fun started with the garage blaming the clutch supplier, and the clutch supplier blaming both the garage firstly for wrong fitment, then the vehicle user for style of driving!

The matter was eventually resolved with the clutch supplier agreeing to replace the assembly, but my colleague still had to fork out the labour charge for removal and refitting. Subsequently, the clutch supplier made a contribution towards the labour costs involved purely as a goodwill gesture, but denied any fault or liability.

After seeking legal advice he was advised if the garage in question had carried out the full supply and fit of the clutch, they would have been liable for any subsequent fault arising and with rectification at no cost to the customer.

I suspect it could be a similar situation in France.

If you are going down this route can I suggest that you,

Don't go for a re-conditioned clutch cover or even worse centre plate

Buy a Motor Factor branded assembly rather than "genuine" parts ( often same thing, different packaging and lots dearer )

Replace the release bearing / thrust bearing at the same time.

If its a diesel and you are keeping the car for a while, price up for replacing the ring gear at the same time.

Excellent reponse as per, chaps and chapess.  Just so that I can sound as if I know more than I actually do, what's the translation of release/thrust bearing and ring gear, please?[:)]

I was looking at the Norauto website and they do several makes including Valeo, but the latter is considerably cheaper than Valeo quote. 

It may be that my chap uses a website to purchase as he's not a Skoda dealer but if I have some prices from the net and a bit more info' then at least I'm better prepared to negotiate.  Thanks all.

Not sure if it applies in France, can't see why not, but in UK if you use genuine VAG parts fitted by a professional garage - not necessarily VAG - then if the parts fail prematurely VAG pick up the bill for repairs.

Just something to think about, price is not always all [;-)]

My local garage was quite happy to fit tyres that I supplied (considerably cheaper than anywhere in France). I wouldn't ask him to fit replacement mechanical parts though, as that's his main business, not tyres, and he obviously makes a profit from the supply as well as fitting. Might seem that I'm being a bit sensitive to his possible reactions, but I prefer to keep him on my side. The point above about guarantees is very valid!

Always the potential for agruements when the customer supplies the parts - whose fault was it.

If the garage supplies the parts then they are totally responsible. If you obtain the parts elsewhere then as has been said the garage will blame the parts and the parts manufacturer will blame the garage.

The garage will be making a profit on the parts and they may have hiked the price to fit your parts to counter the loss of profit from not supplying the parts.

Could you not try to get them to lower their price for supply and fit argueing that you can get the parts cheaper elsewhere.

[quote user="PaulT"]

Could you not try to get them to lower their price for supply and fit argueing that you can get the parts cheaper elsewhere.

[/quote]Yes, this would be my plan now having read all your comments.

But I would be grateful if anybody knows the answer to my question above.  Far better to sound as though I know exactly what I'm talking about as this is a mechanic v woman thing! Thanks again all.

What car is it Coops, year and what engine?

Ring gear, I have never known anyone have to change one, never. 

If it's a Skoda (I think you mentioned it) it will probably have a dual mass flywheel, these can be a problem on cars that have them, VAG have them.  Basically your flywheel is made in two parts then they are bonded together with a rubbery section that absorbs the vibrations from the engine giving your gear box an easier life.  Lots of people replace them with solid flywheels, we did on our Peugeot vans with no ill effects but apparently Mondeos don't like solid flywheels, I have heard of quite a few box's going so be careful.

Shame you're so far away or I'd offer my services as you helped me in the past.  I am going back to the UK in about 6 weeks and could get one to bring back though.

Yes, ring gear that did puzzle me somewhat.

In the old days of inertia starter motors (where the motor would run, the starter motor gear was on a helix and would run down the helix 'crashing' in to the ring gear then there was a lot of wear.

Modern starter motors have a solenoid that pulls the starter motor gear in to mesh with the ring gear before the motor turns thereby virtually eliminating wear

Paul

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="PaulT"]

[/quote]Yes, this would be my plan now having read all your comments.

But I would be grateful if anybody knows the answer to my question above.  Far better to sound as though I know exactly what I'm talking about as this is a mechanic v woman thing! Thanks again all.

[/quote]

Ring gear =

Couronne dentée

http://www.the-burgund.com/trad_cadre.htm

Cost of the parts is negligible compared to the labour cost, probably best to get a few alternative all in quotes, locally there's a mobile mechanic who will come to you and his prices without garage overheads is much more competitive, do you have one you could ask for a quote?

• 2 months later...
A belated update.  In the end, my previous mechanic having retired, we decided to try out a new garage in the village.  The price he has quoted me for the clutch was in fact less than any I found for myself on the web.  The exhaust failed the CTA too and  to replace both they've quoted me 4.5 hours' labour which doesn't seem bad at all to me.  OK, they are probably chasing my new business but what the heck to I care about their motives?  Thanks for all the advice and input, guys.

[quote user="just john "]enough about the clutch already, how'd the pursuit of the porsche go?[blink][/quote]Sadly it's not to be, hence we're having to keep the Fabia on the road.  We will struggle to pay to have a loo put in upstairs on the amount I have been awarded.  C'est la vie - it was fun to dream.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="just john "]enough about the clutch already, how'd the pursuit of the porsche go?[blink][/quote]Sadly it's not to be, hence we're having to keep the Fabia on the road.  We will struggle to pay to have a loo put in upstairs on the amount I have been awarded.  C'est la vie - it was fun to dream.[/quote]

Should not need to dream - compensation should be sufficient for a changed life to have alternative pleasures, not struggle to provide basic essential requirements for a changed life.

Paul 

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="just john "]enough about the clutch already, how'd the pursuit of the porsche go?[blink][/quote]Sadly it's not to be, hence we're having to keep the Fabia on the road.  We will struggle to pay to have a loo put in upstairs on the amount I have been awarded.  C'est la vie - it was fun to dream.[/quote]It seems very unfair that you are not getting proper compensation for something that was not your fault. You have my sympathy.

However I am sure you and Mr C will face up to this with your usual fortitude.

[quote user="Rabbie"] It seems very unfair that you are not getting proper compensation for something that was not your fault.  [/quote]

Took the words out of my mouth, the porsche can remain a fun dream, the rest is not and regretable that accident victims are not adequately compensated. Maybe the funds could stretch to a  virginexperiencedays.co.uk/porsche as a token of fun you deserve.

Archived