Complete France Forum

Process to get a car back on the road after an accident

HoneySuckleDreams

We (my wife) had an accident which is being duely processed by the police/judiciary. There has been no notice of any statement from anyone so we assumed the process will take a while (it's only been 3 months and most of that was over summer), and as yet no apportioned blame.

She had an assessor out to look at the car today as we "apparently" need that done so that he can say wether it's dangerous or not. He was not to be confused with an insurance "expert" as we only had 3rd party. He reckons it will cost 1500€ to get it back on the road but he said the repair costs were minimal, all the costs are associated with getting the carte gris back from wherever it is. She did go to the police to ask for it back but they shrugged and said they didn't have it. Not...oh it's in the system and this is what you have to do to get it back. Frustrating!

Anyway, I have found this link http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1473.xhtml but it just says we need a report from an assessor when it as been repaired so that we can go and get (i assume) the carte gris.

Have we understood correctly? Is it all back handers to functionaires? or is his definition of "minimal" repair costs really that expensive.

Link repaired by a mod.

I'm not really sure why the carte grise has gone anywhere ?

It is not normally withdrawn simply because an accident has occurred and

since it sounds as if the car is not a write off and repairs are

relatively inexpensive why would your case be any different to any

other.

Who actually pays for the repairs is not really relevant.

The retraite de certificat d'immatriculation is clearly described in the first part of the link.

If the vehicle is repairable then the expert should have written a specification, effectively a devi for the repairs together with an estimated cost, once the repairs are effected you have to pay the expert for another assessment, presumably the same price you have paid this time, I dont believe that there are any other costs involved.

Interestingly the article gives the impression that the repairs must be carried out by a proper garage, I know this is not the case. A friend, a Police municipale officer has gone through through this having retained the salvage of his vehicle, he had the repairs done by a garage but on the black, not everything, he still lacks foglights and some trim but all the safety related repairs required by the expert, he told me chapter and verse the costs and there wasnt any admin charges.

I am not sure if he had to have a second "expertise" on the vehicle after the repairs as in my mind they were cosmetic, wing, bumper, lights, grille, radiator etc no suspension or chassis damage, I would have been using the car the next day after some patching up to await the proper repairs but this is France................

[quote user="Chancer"]

I am not sure if he had to have a second "expertise" on the vehicle after the repairs as in my mind they were cosmetic, wing, bumper, lights, grille, radiator etc no suspension or chassis damage, I would have been using the car the next day after some patching up to await the proper repairs but this is France................

[/quote]

Yes, this is France. [:(]

The first assessment was 100€ and we are waiting his report.

We will have to have a proper garage do some of the work as the crash deformed the front near-side (in a RHD car) wing and inner chasis. I tried fitting the old RHD headlamp back into place but the frame has been deformed by a couple of mm's. So I think that is where the cost will be. We are going to have to ask around friends to see if someone knows a friendly carrosserie so that we don't get stung for the extortionate reparation costs that are normally associated with Insurance work (as this is out of our own pocket).

The Inner tie track rod was snapped which made the car undriveable, which is why I think the police asked for the CarteGris (Véhicle endommagé I think the term is). We actually replaced this ourselves (2nd hand bits from the UK are a whole lot cheaper) so that the car is now moveable, and drives OK. The rest of the damage is cosmetic - definately a new headlight, new wing perhaps, the bumper is still attached and OK, and the grill is probably servicable (to be honest though, it's not that important to get it back on).

Are there the same costs involved in getting the Carte Grise, as if you were registering the car for the first time? or do they take a nominal "reprinting" fee.

So what you are effectively saying chancer is that in every case where the police attend an accident or an insurance assessor examines a car  following one, and where the car is deemed to be sufficiently damaged so as to be no longer safely drivable, the cg is automatically withdrawn.

I wonder if any others have had 1st hand experience of that situation ?

In response to your comment about not understanding why a carte grise would be withdrawn I simply mentioned that the info was in the link.

I cannot speak for every gendarme at the scene of every accident, there was no mention of an insurance assessor, would it help if I were to translate the relevant section of the link for you ANO ?

The link says the police send the CG to the prefecture.

As I understand it, once the vehicle is roadworthy again you go back to the prefecture with various documents (including the receipt for the CG) and they should return the CG to you. It doesn't say anything about cost.

Last Sunday morning the gendarmes turned up at the house. It gave the wife a wobble as she thought something horrible had happened to me.

Anyway, they gave her back the Carte Gris (posted from one Gendarmerie 10 minutes away to the one in our canton) and...a document explaining the car was "Véhicle endommagé"

She asked why it had taken so long to get round to this...and they answered, "it's been the summer holidays"

It's taken them nearly 4 months. 

This country is a joke.

Archived