Complete France Forum

I fixed my Tom Tom

Pierre ZFP

A little while ago, my Tom Tom would not pick up Live Services (eg traffic delays) and eventually, every time it was disconected from a power source it would need rebooting, very annoying.  Contacted TT help and they put me through a series of things like charging from another charger, factory reset and some other stuff, no good.  So, they said send us a copy of your original receipt, can't do that, it was a gift about 20 months ago.  Next message, OK send us a copy of your original receipt, hey what? didn't you read my last mail?  So eventually they said it had to be returned so they would send a pre-paid box.  Fine, except this multi national company can't send onr to Luxembourg !!! So after much to-ing and fro-ing I would send it back for repair, wait a minute, you will charge a flat €105 no matter the problem ????

So, a bit of 'tinterweb searching (Google is my friend) and it seems this is a common fault that TT won't admit to, it seems there was a duff batch of batteries that will only last around 20 months or less.  Found a link which explained in detail how to get into the case. On to Amazon to get a newbattery (€6.99 inc P&P) and a week later Hey Presto! a fully functioning TT !!

Now I like the TT Sat Nav but customer service?  Nil points !! 

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="andyh4"]Instead of Tom Tom they should have been called Dick Dick[/quote]

No, they would never do that, because when more battries went toes up people would Harry Harry them [:-))]

I have had my TomTom for a few years now and about a year ago I thought the battery was giving up. So, once again, google being our friend I found and ordered a new battery and found a youtube, I think, video showing how to change it. Since then the original battery purcked up and has been fine since. The new battery is waiting patiently in the draw waiting its turn..

The battery was always K-rap on mine so its spends its life connected to the car charger, this I have hardwired and hidden away under the console and the Shatnav sits in the armrest cubby box with the lead, I cant stand the suction mounts so the working part of my bracket is discreetly fixed to the dash.

Anyway my Shatnav has a habit of turning itself on unawares to me and the screen discharges the battery, I dont think that the button is being pressed where it sits, the first indication of this is that I either hear the speed camera alerts when I am driving or find the battery struggles to start the car.

Since this spring I have virtually stopped using my car, I go everywhere within a 10K radius by bike and have a trailer for it for my shopping, bags of cement etc, I went to make a rare car journey last night only to find the battery flat enough this time that I had to push start the car, pretty hard on a heavy modern diesel and then found that the cranking had dropped the voltage low enough for my coded radio to no longer functions.

8 years knowing that I didnt have the code I have managed to avoid a flat battery even when I swopped the original as a precaution but Shatnav has finally got the better of me.

On our car that problem is solved by the electrics switching of any ancilaries after about 15 - 20 minutes. It goes into 'Economy Mode' and the only way you can switch anything on is to start the engine. [8-|] Just another gimick I suppose? But one that stoppes the battery going flat if you forget that the radio is on [:-))]

The TomTom doesn't switch on when it's plugged into the car power. It has to be switched on. It's the same when it's plugged into the MacBook. Then if you leave it switched off it just charges the battery.

A good suggestion but its pretty random and doesnt do it all the time plus I spliced the charger into a permanent 12v feed which seemed a good idea at the time but in hindsight was a mistake, I will just unplug it from now on.

The good news is, and I really needed some, the ECU has now decided that it recognises the radio/CD changer, that I havnt nicked it so its all working again, spookily this is not the first thing to heal up all by itself!

I have had Citroëns for 24 years now Earnie, from a Diane to the Grande C4 Picaso and so far not too much in the way of any problems. That's why our next one will probably be another Citroën. OH had a 2CV for 17 years and sold it for the move over, a wonderful motor and I would love another one now [8-|]

Bit like Marmite I suppose?

Archived