Complete France Forum

Change to French licence compulsory?

Hereford

I have done a search on the forum and see that back in April 2011 SD said that it was not compulsory to change a UK licence for a French one, and gave a link.

Has anything changed since then does anyone know please?

Scottish neighbour stopped in routine check yesterday and told that as he has lived in France for four years (he was asked the question by Gendarmes) he should have changed his licence and that he was committing a criminal offence in not having done so within 6 months of arriving.

The only thing that crosss my mind is that perhaops my neighbou has an old "paper" licence.

He has been told that they will note his offence but not charge him if he changes the licence within a month.  We think he should do so anyway, and get a "for life" one but would like to know the correct position.   We changed ours some years ago for convenience.

Thanks as always

H.

My paper licence is and has been legal for the full 8 years we have been here and the only reason that I will be changing it is for my 70th birthday.

Have a look at this  http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2684229/ShowPost.aspx

Some of the damjams don't know what day of the week it is!

It may be something to do with them being Gran-dames and being able to get away with it [:-))]

All I have got to do at the mo is to take my photo, or OH to take it to be precise, and get the form to the prefecture in Carcassonne and I too will have a lifetime permis de conduit that doesn't quite fit into any wallet!

The French are so very thughtful[8-)]

[quote user="Hereford"]  We cannot understand why Gendarmes get it so wrong and apparently get away with it.
H.
[/quote]

they do because they know no better.

And your friend does not have a "uk" licence, they have a "european" licence issued in the "uk"

Unfourtunately it's impossible to argue with the gendarmes (and the worst ones are the gendarmettes!) as they are the ones with the guns

I carry something in our car that is more powerful than thier guns. It's the letter of theFrench law. It's in the car at the mo, but I am sure the our own lovely milk monitor Clair [kiss] can remember and come up with the link. I tried to find it earlier, 'onest Clair [:(]

It lays the French law that a U.K. issued licence is valid here up until the holder reaches the age of methuselah like me!! Not quite tere yet though!!

I carry something in our car that is more powerful than thier guns. It's the letter of theFrench law. It's in the car at the mo, but I am sure the our own lovely milk monitor Clair [kiss] can remember and come up with the link. I tried to find it earlier, 'onest Clair [:(]

It lays the French law that a U.K. issued licence is valid here up until the holder reaches the age of methuselah like me!! Not quite there yet though!!

Thanks for link, have printed it out.   I stand corrected on the "UK" licence - it is of course a European licence. 

I suspect our friend will just change the licence anyway, but if it was me I would keep the printout of the law and show them if they come to check up.

H.

Archived