Complete France Forum

Insurance after a long break

NormanH

I haven't owned a car for over 5 years, but was considering getting a 'run about' for over the Easter and Summer.

However in trying to get estimates online for Insurance I keep bumping up against the question of bonus.

I believe to benefit from this there is a period after which it is considered lapsed.

I am far from a new driver, and have driven hired cars in the period when I didn't own one, but despite never having made a claim I seem to be considered uninsurable by a couple of companies I am interested in, such as Amaguiz because I haven't got a 15% or plus bonus.  Online they say things like 'we don't cover new drivers'

I wanted a pay as you go style as I will have a very low mileage

Am I condemned to starting from scratch with a traditional type of Insurer?

[quote user="NormanH"]Would it still be valid after over 5 years?
[/quote]

I don't know, but it's worth a try. I suppose the problem is that you could have an undisclosed bad record prior to that.

Edit: I meant after the date you tell them you stopped driving

• 2 months later...
NCB expires after 2 years in UK. Whether this is industry standard or not, or applies to France or not, I have no idea.

My old insurer was Budget, and after a 2 year lapse, when I tried to renew with another company, they wanted me to start from scratch. Going back to Budget, they finally offered a reduction in the premium equivalent to a few years NCB, but it was not a "real" NCB that would be recognised by other insurers in the future....basically just money off a new driver premium.

I suspect not technically legal, but the twisted remains of my old rally car are lying in a garage in Scotland and I have a second very basic policy covering it for a minimal sum, accruing NCB nicely, which might come in handy one day.

I had hoped to have a policy such as offered by Amaguiz where you pay much less if you have very low mileage.

My original insurer doesn't offer this.  However apparently Amaguiz consider you as a new driver if you can't give them a NCB quotation and so refuse to accept you for that plan.

This may not be helpful in France, but the UK insurance companies are often sympathetic (as much as insurance companies can be sympathetic !!)  towards drivers who have had a company car for a number of years. Although the driver hasn't earned any NCB in his own right, the companies sometimes offer a reduction based on the previously earned NCB provided that he can provide evidence.

On this basis I think it's worth contacting your old insurer and asking for a statement, and as pointed out by an earlier poster, why not start with them by asking for a quote?

Archived