Complete France Forum

Foreign-registered vehicles more likely to speed?

Pickles

I was reading this article in Midi Libre and was intrigued. According to the article, foreign-registered vehicles consitute only 5% overall of the traffic, yet make up 25% overall of those caught speeding, and up to 50% of those caught in summer.

The other detail that caught my eye: the car that was the subject of the specific incident was registered in Vanuatu! It seems fairly obvious that this has been done in order to avoid speeding fines from cameras: the car is "not owned by the driver" and no-one has agreements with Vanuatu to allow interchange of data. A quick check shows that income and capital gains tax is not levied on companies registered in Vanuatu and the ownership is kept secret.

[quote user="Pickles"]According to the article, foreign-registered vehicles consitute only 5% overall of the traffic, yet make up 25% overall of those caught speeding, and up to 50% of those caught in summer.[/quote]Nothing too surprising really, probably not much different in UK.

Personally I've found Swiss drivers the most consistent and fastest speeders followed by the Belgians and it makes you wonder how effective the alleged bi-lateral agreements are.

So 50% of the speeders are still French in summer but a staggering 75% Of the French speed the rest of the time.  The Government should do something about this instead of picking on the minority.  Of course the minority actually have somewhere to get to rather than just poodling around the villages.  When you do poodle around just your locality should learn the location and avoid said speeding traps.  Driving through France only occasionally is far more likely to result in passing a camera that is either new or location not remembered hence the foreigners are more likely to be shown percentage wise as the bigger culprits.  I have gone back to the speed camera database as it alerted me to over speeding and camera locations which resulted in me not getting flashed frequently as I did when it was turned off.  I was not intending to speed but the constant changes  in speed on some roads  meant it was easier to accidentally be over the speed limit.

[quote user="Théière"]So 50% of the speeders are still French in summer but a staggering 75% Of the French speed the rest of the time. [/quote]

Er No.

I think you have misunderstood the numbers being given to you.

Of those recorded speeding, 75% are French - not 75% of French speed outside of the summer period.

Actually without knowing how long the "summer period" is and the difference in traffic density between that period and the rest of the year, you cannot say how many of the French divers recorded as being above the speed limit, do speed outside of the summer period. (I know that sounds very complicated - and that is because it is complicated.)

Archived