Complete France Forum

Broken Key Fob

Quillan

The outer case of my Peugeot key has finally started to fall apart to I popped down to my local dealer and asked if I could buy a new one. He quoted 136 Euros which I thought rather expensive but he said it is because it comes with a 'blade'. Had a look on Amazon and would you believe it a brand new original excluding the blade (which I don't need) is £6.50 plus £2.50pp. So my tip is if your central locking car key has a case thats falling apart yet it still works buy a new case online and don't bother the dealer as they will rob you blind. I don't begrudge people making a profit but blatantly ripping people off which I think the Peugeot dealer is doing borders on being criminal.

Maybe Q, but are we talking transponder key?  They are expensive and can only be coded with the correct machine. In The UK you could pay anything from £50-£200 depending on make and model, fobs and blanks are pennies as you said, if you can transfer the electronics that would be a good result.

The dealer was trying to sell be the case plus the 'blade' (key) with no electronics. Mine works fine its just that the rubber that covers the 'open' button has fallen off showing the micro switch underneath. Basically there are two screws, one to open the case and another to hold the PCB in place. I thought the electronics were connected to the physical key but that does not appear to be the case when I removed the cover. The receiving transponder is inside the lock but not connected to the lock (if you understand what I mean) it's just the proximity of the key to the lock that makes the code work, i.e. no physical circuit is made with the key. I can get the case and the 'blade' for around £12 in the UK, a substantial saving on the price the dealer quoted. You can get 'knock off' copies on Ebay for a couple of Euros but they probably only last a week.

Many of the local key cutting / shoe repair places usually found in supermarket foyers sell replacement fob shells for popular marques too.

Obviously, I dont know what your looks like inside, but when you swap the guts over, be careful to get it all. The circuit board is for the transmitter for the remote central locking. Some cars also have the immobiliser transponder (which is a passive device that requires no power) on the board and others have it separate in the key body. In these types its usually a wee solid looking rectangle or cube just a few mm to each side, clipped into the plastic casing somewhere.

[quote user="Théière"]Some knock off Ebay copies are still in use nearly 2 years later![/quote]

I was thinking of the ones on the French website that are posted from China. The English site appears to have proper companies that sell through not just Ebay but didn't post to France. I buy and sell a lot through Ebay, you just get a 'feel' for some things. I have had very good esperiences with almost everything I have bought so it was not a knock at Ebay in general more that you have to be careful.

Funny that you brought that up Dave. There was more than one review where people could not get it to work after swapping the bits over but when they took it to the local dealer he managed to get it working first time. Seems to tie in with what your saying i.e. they left something behind thats difficult to spot. Fortunately there are a couple of films on YouTube that show you exactly what to do.

I transferred the innards twice on my old Mazda's fob when the outer cases disintegrated. The dealer wanted to sell me both a new "key" and the box built into the car for as much as the whole car was worth. I picked up second-hand complete fobs for a couple of quid each, one on Ebay and the other from a scrapyard.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I transferred the innards twice on my old Mazda's fob when the outer cases disintegrated. The dealer wanted to sell me both a new "key" and the box built into the car for as much as the whole car was worth. I picked up second-hand complete fobs for a couple of quid each, one on Ebay and the other from a scrapyard.[/quote]

Yes, in the case of Fords (aka Mazda's) second hand keys can be recoded using the ignition switch (you must do all keys at the same time) not sure how many other manufacturers do this but nothing in the Renault handbook suggest this. (typical French €€€)

[quote user="Jonzjob"]I got a replacement from a local key cutter. He changed the bits over in the shop and made sure it worked, BUT it cost me 8€ [:-))]

Citroën wanted the equivalent of a deposit for a new car for their replacement jobbie..

[/quote]

Cobblers!

Ooh sorry I meant cobblers? [;-)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

TP, the pool's almost ready, just some steps to build [8-|]

[/quote]

Nice one, hope you take some pictures, what will you do with old glass fiber ones?  They are almost as well known as you and your woodwork.

Just in case anyone is interested the new one arrived today. With the Peugeot key (assuming the back is OK and its just the front with the buttons that is damaged )you don't have to swap the innards over. Undo the screw, screwdriver down the side to pop the top off and simply put the new top on and put the screw back in, takes all of about 30 seconds. If you have a different key the best tip is to look at how you replace the battery in the key fob (usually found in the car manual) which shows you how to open the fob and from there you should be able to work out how to replace the fob.

• 3 weeks later...