Complete France Forum

Variable garage charges

Hoddy

We've had to buy a spare part for our Citroen this week. While we were at the garage I noticed a scale of charges for work done by them. So Friday and Saturday were the most expensive, followed by Monday and Tuesday with Wednesday and Thursday being the cheapest.

I've never seen this before at a garage, is it general in France or is our local just a one off ?

Well that's a new one on me, I've never seen any difference for charges according to what day of the week it is, either in France or the UK. Funnily enough we were sitting in the waiting area in Feu Vert this morning while waiting for tyres to be fitted; I was reading their service charges as our car goes into the local Mercedes garage next week for a service. Interesting though that Mercedes charges in our part of France for labour are 55 Euro an hour, and in our local Merc dealer in the UK they are £120. Hence I get the car serviced in France every year while we are here, not just the price but also because in France the dealer treats us as valued customers, unlike in the UK where they seem to think we just a cash cow.

No, never seen or heard of that one before.

I agree completely with NickP. Labour charges in the VW main dealer here are about the same and although I'm completely out of touch with UK prices, I suspect that they're a lot higher than that.

For me its a no-brainer.  Annual service on a 160k car averages €500 - €600, so €10 or so per week.  When it goes in for service, they give me a loan car at no charge.  If there's a subsequent problem, they fix it.

Our beloved neighbour faffes around with local dodgy garagistes and the car is in and out of the place whilst they try to sort out the problem - I keep telling him to just use the main dealer, but I'm tiddling in the wind !

Archived