Complete France Forum

Radars

Gardian

Just a word of warning when entering or exiting towns.

Our local large town has seen an outbreak of 'fixed but mobile' cameras over the last 6 months or so. I was pinged in early-Jan, but it took a month for the penalty notice to come through - €45.

No complaints - I was doing 81kph in a 70kph area, so fair enough. Just a bit miffed that the radar box was sited just 50m before the end of the limit. Anyway, look out for them. They move them around every few days just to keep everybody on their toes and I would doubt that they're confined to the Gard.

However, I was amused to see yesterday that the very one that got me (and which had been moved back to the same spot) had been well and truly attacked. Red spray paint all over the lenses and the letters 'F A R F' emblazoned it. Gave some thought to all the vulgarities that this might stand for, but decided to check it out with my neighbour who is an expert on bad language!

He concluded that it must be 'Federation Anti Radar Francais' .......... or does anybody have a better idea?

We had one put at an 'awkward' place too and that was attacked mercilessly for ages. Last time I was back it was nickel..... there again, in general I found drivers not being so casse-cul  either.

No idea what FARF means, but that is a very 'reasonable' choice, it could be rather ruder.[Www]

Around here they normally put an ad in the local news papers when they are going to set up the gendarmes doing the hairdrier act, but I haven't seen the ones like wot you got?

I always stick strictly to the speed limits and never exceed them, well sometimes anyway [:-))]

John ........

I get the impression that the Gendarmerie aren't involved in any of this. They're far more interested in raiding the local boulangerie first thing in the morning!

The boxes are about 1m in each dimension, but bevelled at the front a bit like a naval gun. Not small & to be fair, there are the usual notices up in advance. When I spoke to my neighbour, he admitted that he was 'done' a week or two ago, as was another pal of his.

As I've already said, I have no complaint and have already modified my speed attention. That's what it's all about.

However, the issue with the (sad) increase in deaths on the roads around here of late is not excess speed on the approach to or exit from the towns - it's wild driving (cutting corners etc) on the secondary roads.

[quote user="Gardian"]the issue with the (sad) increase in deaths on the roads around here of late is not excess speed on the approach to or exit from the towns - it's wild driving (cutting corners etc) on the secondary roads.[/quote]I couldn't agree more.

We all know that speed of itself is not a killer and it's stupid to suggest otherwise however the single minded and blinkered obsession with it being the #1 factor in road deaths, not to mention the convenient fact that it's a relatively easy catch which rakes in money, mean that it fatally detracts from the real causes.

Archived