Complete France Forum

Query on a compromis de vente

Hi again, I thought I'd start a new thread for the sake of clarity, my apologies if this isn't the usual way.

Most of the content of the compromis is reasonably clear, but one of the clauses in the compromis  states:

"Payer tous les frais, droits et honoraires des presentes et ceux qui resulteront de l'acte authentique a intervenire ainsi que tous ceux qui en seront la suite ou la consequence."

I understand that I need to pay notaires fees, but this clause implies that I pay for the vendor as well and also any notaires fees that arise from any change to the acte.  I'm sure I've misunderstood this in some way and wondered if anyone can clarify it for me?  Is it usual for the buyer to pay the vendor's fees and, effectively, indemnify them against anything arising from the acte?

Thanks,

Vivien

I think that the OP may be unused to the idea that there aren't two people acting, one for the buyer and one for the seller, but just the one Notaire ,and that the large part of those fees are in fact taxes, a bit like stamp duty.

The seller never pays these

Thanks for the clarification, idun.  It's not a problem at all, if this is the usual process, just my lack of understanding.  I thought it would be rather expensive in total if the vendor was having to pay the same amount of fees but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

[quote user="vivienz"]... if this is the usual process ...[/quote]

It is just that and it takes some getting used to if your past experience has been exclusively within the UK system.

When we received the breakdown of the seemingly astronomical 'notaires' fees in our purchase I was bemused to see how relatively small the actual notarial fee was and how huge the government/bureaucratic cut.

Sue

You can have two Notaires acting, i.e. one for the seller and one for the buyer at no additional cost.

We did this as the sellers Notaire did not speak English so we chose one who did.

The signing of the Acte was at our Notaires. The sellers and agent were English. The owner of the agency and the other Notaire only spoke French. The 'meeting' was carried out in English with occasional stops for our Notaire to explain where the proceedings were at for the owner and other Notaire.

Archived