Complete France Forum

non-French speaker mechanic

muppet14

I am a highly qualified and experienced passenger car technician but don't speak a word of French!

Does anyone know if there is a call for main dealer technicians - without the language - in Calvados?

Merci (well I do have the basics)

PS for modelling contracts see picture

I suspect you will struggle to find the job you are looking for without any knowledge of French.

If you do see a job advertised, how will you write your CV and letter of application?  How will you be able to handle a job interview in French?  If you are offered a contract of employment, how will you understand what it says?  What about understanding Health and Safety instructions and signing them off?  Could you read a French job card?  French service manual?  Technical update bulletins?  Training courses?

Not wanting to be negative, but you need to know the potential problems you face.

Also as with many foreign qualifications, they will probably not be recognised here so you MAY have to  take courses to proove your competance. Sunday Driver is exactly correct when he points out all the problems without fluent french,job applications by french nationals will always take priority over foreigners with no language skills,its the way of the world here I'm afraid.

Just to add a slightly more optomistic note. My husband, who is a qualified panel beater, got a job over here when we arrived without being able to speak French. We had got his CV translated into French and also showed his City and Guilds qualifications which we had also got translated. Cars are the same the world over and you can pick up what is needed if you have an employer who is willing to give you a chance, and they will do that when they are desperate for staff[:)]

Regarding H&S instructions and signing them off - you are joking surely? French workshops are not nearly as bothered about H&S as they are in the UK - this is speaking from OH's experience from having now worked in several workshops over here.

They are also Bl**dy cold in the winter as the employers do not believe in heating, and continually switch("excess") lights off when you are trying to work!!

Thank you Rob Roy.

I had anticipated I'd have to get my qualifications translated. I'm currently self-employed in the UK (own a garage) and if the right came to me looking for a job, I don't think the language barrier would be a problem. Communication would soon be established.

• 2 weeks later...
My english mate owns his own little garage here, speaks French though.

He spends half his day on the phone - as I'm sure you're aware being a garage owner yourself. All the terms are different, so you're not only learning the language but a whole new technical language. There are links to automotive terms in French on the net, I suggest you read up on them sharpish!

Depends how much you're willing to make. If you are willing to make ends meet while you get your French up to scratch then I'm sure you'll find a little niche to pay the rent, most tradesmen do.

Good luck.

Archived