Complete France Forum

Garden machinery repairs

cheminot

I am considering setting up an 'Enterprise Individuelle' doing repairs/maintenance of garden machinery.

I have the qualifications/ attestations necessary to register for this work but given the high initial cost of cotisations etc before I earn anything has anyone any suggestions as to how I can get some idea of the likely demand for my services?

I cannot advertise unless I am registered and am reluctant to register without some idea as to the potential take up.

Any ideas gratefully received!

cheminot

Yes, I take my auto-portee etc for repairs and servicing to a very nice man who has an industrial unit at Vadalle, just north of Angouleme and he's always extremely busy, especially during the growing season.

He also repairs mopeds and quad bikes, has got a smallish parts department and also has a franchise for Solo mowers and equipment. So, he has other strings to his bow. He now has an apprentice learning the trade.

I'd say advertise in French as well as English, be up front (have mowers etc lined up in front of your premises so locals can see what you do) and get known so advertise everywhere. It  may take a year or so to pick up but once word gets around that you are good and competitive, you will have lots of customers. If there is someone doing the same thing close by, just rent premises and start your business elsewhere.

Good luck!

If you can repair/ maintain tractors too you would be well in around here.I read  in the local paper that a college course for agricultural and gardening  machinery engineering, apprentice level, is starting in Auch, Gers, and is heavily subscribed.

Archived