Complete France Forum

Setting up in France

matt and tam

Hi

I have pondered the idea of moving to France and wondered what the situation regarding setting up as a builder is?

I have been a Bricklayer for 20yrs and am Degree qualified as a Building Surveyor.  I am currently a director of a small building firm and have been a sole trader prior to this for 5 yrs.

I am jsut wondering wether or what the work situation would be like.

I am considering the South West as i currently live in Cornwall and near the coast is where i would have to be.

Thanks in advance

regards

matt

Hi Matt

Not to sure about the paper work side of setting up although I hear its compilcated especially if your french isnt that good. But ther is plenty of lads on here who will fill you in. But as in the finding of work if your good you wont be short of offers, the couple of inquires I have made to have some internal work done (dividing walls, plastering, floor supports for a mezzamine(sp) ect) I have been told im looking of a wait of about a year.

Plenty of work for builders. I doubt if a surveying degree will do you any good at all.

Registration is easy, but very, very expensive. Ensure that you have enough money to live on for at least a year before you start.

You don't say what your French is like, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue! Buildings look the same in any language!

I get about 75% of my work from Brits (I am an electrician), some of my builder friends work exclusively for Brits, some don't.

Hi katie

i finished uni in 2000 and worked for Bristol City Council, South Gloucester Council, Bath and North East Somerset Council. Then onto the private sector for surveying/estate agents practices doing agency work and commercial valuations

i never chartered

regards

matt

Hi Matt,

We moved from Uk and set up a building and renovation company (SARL) here in July 2006.  The setting up of the company was easy, a short course, a good accountant and loads of money. That was the easy bit.  Finding work, thats a whole new ball game.  My husband has nearly 30 years as a bricklayer, running his own business and also sub-contracting major developments from the largest construction companies in East London. With his partner they have over 40 years experience in construction and renovation.

The problems they have had are mainly down to trying to compete on price with unregistered 'builders', ( people who suddenly morph into builders as they get off the ferry, they get on as Postman Pat and get off  Bob the Builder)

Potential clients are being advised on forums that if a builder isn't booked up for the next 2-5 years they aren't any good, how on earth do you 'get busy' if you are up against this?  My husband has seen the most unbelievably disgusting workmanship, and knows that he could have done a better job with all the guarantees to go with it, but is not being given the opportunity.  I know it takes a while for a new business to establish anywhere, but here experience, knowledge and quality of work , do not seem high on the list of attributes neccesary to succeed. Sorry to hijack your thread and i'll probably get shot down, but I needed to give you another view from a 'newbie'

[quote user="matt and tam"]

Hi katie

i finished uni in 2000 and worked for Bristol City Council, South Gloucester Council, Bath and North East Somerset Council. Then onto the private sector for surveying/estate agents practices doing agency work and commercial valuations

i never chartered

regards

matt

[/quote]

That is okay Matt, but with experience and, especially chartership there are surveying opportunities available but I think these are more in BS and QS rather than GP.

thanks for the reply

as always in the building trade people want to pay for the cheap option and thats what they get

nothing worse than trying to get a business started but thats one of those things that you have to do i guess

i'm sure that your other half will get on.  best if he hits the pub and networks the older builder way.

anyway thanks for the advice and no worries on the hijacking

regards

matt

Like any bussiness you will build (excuse the pun) up your clients slowley and via word of mouth I would imagine i n a new country as well it will take time, you should give your self at least a year to get going. When I started working on this house I started out with some terrible workers and made a quick change to some that were recomended to me by some one in the village. They were fantastic at the end of the jobs as they did them the boss would come and say lets walk around and you can point out anything your not happy with and we will get it sorted before we start the next job and before you pay me. the end result was a very happy customer and I have since recommended them to many other people and some times even allowed people to call to see work that he has done. So make sure you leave every house you work in a happy house !! you cant beat word of mouth and people are not shy to tell each other who the crap builders are aswell       

Cathy

Are you with the RICS?  My OH is a Chartered Surveyor (Building and Town & Planning Divisions).  He has finally retired this year but still belongs to the RICS and has a run-off professional indemnity policy.  He seems to now automatically belong to the French branch of the RICS and gets the newsletters, etc.

He has been asked to do different jobs, house surveys, swimming pool designs, extension designs, site layout.  He turns the requests down with regret because he has been wedded to the job for too many years.  However, I feel it should be only me he's wedded to nowadays and I get extremely cross if he so much as TALKS about working.

Have you tried contacting the French RICS people for ideas?  From the names on the newsletter, I note many British as well as French names, so good luck with your search.

[quote user="matt and tam"]i am BSqualified at UWE although never chartered[/quote]

It is important to get chartered status, if only because you will get such confidence from doing the practical work and keeping your journal.  Then, when you do your Assessment of Professional Competence, or whatever they call it nowadays, and you get through that, at least you will feel that your fellow professionals have judged you to be OK to let loose in the work place![:D] 

I once read on one forum that someone borrowed an English reg.van from a builder friend in France that was sign written.They parked in the supermarket and when they came out people were standing by the van waiting to ask about work they wanted done.

i think the surveying days for me are over

sorry but too many stuffy people in the trade   iam just a working class boy and prefer to be hands on

tried becoming chartered and just missed it first time then second time was pushed into by a firm that were incompetent as far as i was concerened

changed from bs to commercial valuation

anyway thanks guys for the advice

also we have  7month old and wondered ho that would affect things.   i have read upa little re schooling but have also heard a few not so good stories

any thoughts?

regards

matt

Archived