Complete France Forum

eggs in one basket

NuBeginnings

[quote user="Russethouse"]

It's not a question of being closed minded, its just not for me....and frankly I belong to three or four forums where I share an interest with others and that takes up quite enough time. In addition I don't want my my email address book imported to their system, thanks, not do I want to send my friends virtual animals or plants for their virtual farms or gardens.

BTW those 12,000 posts are over  I think, 11 years. I share quite enough info here without adding to it [:)]

[/quote]

As you joined this forum in 2004 I take it you mean 7 years.Your address book being imported to their system? This is not true it  that only happens if you allow it to.  Sharing your interests with three or four other forums, fine thats your choice, but it wouldn't be the choice for todays youngsters, they like the instant interaction of social networking sites. Just because you don't understand the new systems doesn't mean that they aren't any good, and when you constantly make assumptions against a site that you obviously don't understand, you seriously undermine your credibility [:D] 

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Russethouse"]It's not a question of being closed minded, its just not for me....and frankly I belong to three or four forums where I share an interest with others and that takes up quite enough time. In addition I don't want my my email address book imported to their system, thanks, not do I want to send my friends virtual animals or plants for their virtual farms or gardens.

BTW those 12,000 posts are over  I think, 11 years. I share quite enough info here without adding to it [:)][/quote]

As you joined this forum in 2004 I take it you mean 7 years.[/quote]

Actually, the forum software went through a major revamp in 2004, and in so doing reset all existing member's join dates. A lot of members have a "join" date of 23/8/2004 but who were on the forum prior to that date - including me!

Regards

Pickles

Actually this forum started sometime around 2000, I can't remember the exact year - in 2004 there was a change of system and for everyone who was then a member, membership started from that date. Some people lost their post total, I didn't. (Edit Pickels beat me to it)

I'm not assuming anything, I have a Facebook page, though my page has virtually zero activity, and as I have children and god children who all use Facebook perhaps you are wrong in saying I dont understand it, what I am saying is that it is not really for me, and and as far as I am aware I'm allowed that opinion, just as you are allowed yours.

I personally don't like the fact that importing your email address book is the default and you have say you don't want it, my feeling is that the default should be that  the person signing up actually having to positivly  say that they are happy to give Facebook the addresses.

I just took a look at my pages and a few others of people I know  - do I care that a friend in the US shared a pizza with their daughter ? No. Am I interested in posts such as

****  is throwing a New Year's Party on their Farm and was hoping that you could make it! RSVP and you'll get a celebration firework!

or

**** visited your Cafe, tried your daily bonus, left you a tip and found some extra servings. They wanted to share 100 extra FREE servings of Chicken Adobo with you and your friends!

or

**** sent you a Stainless Saute Pan to fill up your Stainless Pots and Pans Collection in Cafe World! Do you like it?

No, I'm not, but if thats the way other people want to spend their time, that is just fine! My disposable time is all spoken for, thanks ! Live and let live.

"I personally don't like the fact that importing your email address book is the default and you have say you don't want it,"

OK I give up, [Www]  I really do believe that you don't like social networking sites. No one has ever said that I have to tick anything to stop them using my address book. They do ask if they can, but they can't use it unless you agree.  So one part of your "I wish feeling" although you are obviously unaware of the procedure; is correct, the person signing up has to give permission to Facebook to allow Facebook to use their address book. And in my opinion anybody that does allow it is an idiot. As to when you joined this  forum, I can only deal with facts as they are presented, and under your name it says joined 2004.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Russethouse"]

It's not a question of being closed minded, its just not for me....and frankly I belong to three or four forums where I share an interest with others and that takes up quite enough time. In addition I don't want my my email address book imported to their system, thanks, not do I want to send my friends virtual animals or plants for their virtual farms or gardens.

BTW those 12,000 posts are over  I think, 11 years. I share quite enough info here without adding to it [:)]

[/quote]

As you joined this forum in 2004 I take it you mean 7 years.Your address book being imported to their system? This is not true it  that only happens if you allow it to.  Sharing your interests with three or four other forums, fine thats your choice, but it wouldn't be the choice for todays youngsters, they like the instant interaction of social networking sites. Just because you don't understand the new systems doesn't mean that they aren't any good, and when you constantly make assumptions against a site that you obviously don't understand, you seriously undermine your credibility [:D] 

[/quote]

Dear NickP, it is you , who has undermined your credibility,

(and not Russethouse ),

OK I give up, Whistles [Www]  I really do believe that you don't like social networking sites.

As far as I know  so far its not obligatory to post on Facebook or like the type of site they are... I just have other, and to my mind better, things to worry about. I look in about once a month.

If you look at joining dates you will see a whole lot of people joined on the same day Clair, Hoddy, Q, Ceejay, Wilko, Frank etc.....its not coincidence....[:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

OK I give up, Whistles [Www]  I really do believe that you don't like social networking sites.

As far as I know  so far its not obligatory to post on Facebook or like the type of site they are... I just have other, and to my mind better, things to worry about. I look in about once a month.

If you look at joining dates you will see a whole lot of people joined on the same day Clair, Hoddy, Q, Ceejay, Wilko, Frank etc.....its not coincidence....[:)]

[/quote]

Who said its obligatory? I was just pointing out that you had made statements that were not correct.

My feeling is that it is far too easy for the anyone joining Facebook to end up in a situation where their entire email address book is imported and invitations to 'friends' sent without that ever being their intention - you may not agree, but that is my opinion. Furthermore I suspect that its part of Facebooks marketing strategy, hardly rocket science is it ?

Just off to Tweet about it [:D][:D]

That depends on what your marketing budget is. But in short yes, 25k is a small amount in the world of ppc. It depends how often you want your site to show up.

We don't pay to advertise in magazines etc as we have found that the return is just not worth it.

One of the good things with google, is you can see exactly who is looking at your web site, exactly where they came from i.e country, type of search engine etc. Then you can work out your conversion ratio.

For example last month our website was viewed by some one in Sweden 16 times cost of those clicks resulted in a two week booking.

Archived