Complete France Forum

Mains Gas Connection

Matelot

Bonjour! First visit to the forum for years and it has changed quite a bit, so please be gentle with me!

A few questions to all you experts out there:

• I am considering connecting my cottage in Loir et Cher to mains gas. The gas mains pipe runs under the road only about 6-8 mtrs from the house so there is not very far for the branch connection to run. Does any forum member have experience of connecting to mains gas and what sort of work will be involved. Is it usually a straightforward affair (yes I know it's France), or can it be a nightmare. More importantly, can someone give me some idea of the costs involved?  Even a rough idea would be useful. 
  • The gas quarterly charge and the cost per unit. Is this astronomical or pretty much similar to the UK? Again even a rough idea would be useful. I will probably write to EDF/GDF, but I thought I would get an idea from those of you who have done this.
  • Also, I intend to put in a new kitchen next Easter. Some of the DIY stores in the UK have very reasonably priced packages combining electric hob, electric oven and extractor all together. Has anyone out there taken this sort of thing over to France and had it installed? Are the electrics compatible? Or will it be false economy?

So many questions!  So little time! (and cash!!!)

Thanks for your consideration. I look forward to your advice.

Matelot

Archived