Complete France Forum

painting the outside of the house - permission needed?

hoverfrog

one of the first things we want to do to our new house is paint the outside - at the moment it's a nasty shade of untreated-concrete-render grey

Now I know you'll all immediately say "ask at the mairie", and no doubt we will introduce ourselves at the 1st opportunity (after re-reading the thread in another forum about one's 1st visit to the mairie!), but I wondered if anyone has any experience of this?

The rest of the houses in the commune are various shades of render or white->dark cream, so we don't envisage a problem with cream, but don't want to upset anyone if I get my paintbrush out ASAP (which is what I intend to do before the 3 yr-old arrives)!

Apparently the 'old quarter' of our village has a 'NO white' ruling, while the rest seems to be predominantly white.

Sorry, but 'ask the Mairie' seems to be the way to go. What better way to introduce yourself than asking advice on something non critical to your plans?

Good luck

John

[quote]If you change the colour, you'll need to fill in a "déclaration de travaux" - pretty straight forward document. This should enable to Mairie to check whether your proposed paint scheme corresponds to ...[/quote]

You won't need a D de T unless you are within 500M of a historic monument (your local church, eg.).

I shan't say it....

Oh what the hey ........... Ask your Mairie!

We woke up one morning to find the new hairdressing salon less than 10m from the church painted bright blue overnight. The maire was very very surprised as was the local population and we lived with this eyesore for two years until last Sept it was returned to off-white. The only time you need to get permission is if it is not the standard white or cream finish and even then half the time no one is really bothered. If you don't feel comfortable just ASK at the mairie if there is an obligation to declare your intention.

Can't help with the exterior paintwork I'm afraid although we are having the sides of our cottage (front is dressed stonework) changed from white crepi (and some grey render) to honey coloured crepi in the spring.

When we wanted to paint our shutters (most of which are still in the barn) a couple of years ago, we went to the Mairie with the Dulux Valentine volet colour chart and checked on the colours allowed. (We are 4kms away from the village so not really any restrictions but I wanted to be sure).

The secretary told us the colours which weren't allowed, this included dark green, the existing colours of our shutters! So she took the colour chart to show the maire and he said any colour except purple. LOL!  Some Brits in the next village have painted all their woodwork purple.

bon chance...........helen

Thank God I will never have to paint the outside of a house again. Ours was large and grey, to be painted traditional Normandy cream. It looked a lot bigger up close. The mayor drove past to tend to his fields in the morning; unpainted, me up a ladder. In the evening, came back and stopped. Stunned. Me still up ladder. Front painted.

I must admit I never got as far as the back...

Just to make you smile, some Germans down the road from us, on the D675 between St Mathieu and Rochechouart, have painted an old tree, now minus it's branches, a sort of bright blue!

It always makes me think of a weird type of totem pole.

Alcazar

One of my houses is in a right tourist trap and everything is ruled by the Mairie so that things match.  I paid a fortune for wooden windows and not a year later a beautifull old house had plastic put in.  Also a house just down from me....  Blasted French!

The hairdressers close by is one half blue and the other orange.....Awful.

I was told years ago that you should choose a colour used by a neighbour.

Bottom line is always to ask M. le Maire.  Only polite and could save you money!

I think it depends where you are. If I lived in Honfleur, Port Grimaud or the local equivalent of Tonbridge Wells I would check very carefully.

Mme Le Maire in Vayres would think I have OD on Lawernce Lewlynn Bowen if I asked unless I was painting the house in a colour never seen in the area.   

[quote]Can't help with the exterior paintwork I'm afraid although we are having the sides of our cottage (front is dressed stonework) changed from white crepi (and some grey render) to honey coloured crepi i...[/quote]

"..... Some Brits in the next village have painted all their woodwork purple...."

Helen; that's probably us.... although we prefer to call it 'lavende' !

paul

Archived