Complete France Forum

Interrupteur Differentiel - 3 types ??

Gyn_Paul

Would be grateful if one of the real electricians out there (Hello Paul!) would explain to me the difference between the 3 types of I.D. : There seems to be a type A, a type AC, and a type HI. I assume this is fairly recent, because the oldest book I have (5/6 y.o.) makes no mention of any different type.

What's the difference ? and what are the applications ?

I assume these are now code-specified ?

Another question: I'm sure I've read somewhere that sockets fixed with grips on the side (cf. Legrand 'Neptune') are illegal since June last year. If that's the case, why are shops still full of them?

paul (f)

According to "l'installation électrique"*, page 190(and my translation!):

type AC: for all current domestic applications

type A; posess the same characteristics as type AC, but detects equally residual currents with a DC component i.e.washing machines, cookers etc.

type Hpi: 'according to the makers' superior performance, more than normes, used for protection of freezers, computers and alarm systems.

*really useful book, deals with all things from renovation to new install, lights, power, alarms, gates, computer networks and telephone wiring - and is up to date.

By the way, those sockets etc with hooks - can be used for maintenance of existing systems, but are also compatible with some of the wiring boxes in use, undo and throw away the hooks, then use screws provided with dry wall box or w.h.y.

Mike W

Archived