Complete France Forum

Crossing the "stream"

[8-)]

Can anyone tell me what documents I will need to have translated on moving to France upon the purchase of an abode? I have the distinct impression that I'm standing on a very wobbly rock mid channel as the tunnel is closed today.

Actually it is becoming more and more requested these days for a french translation of your british birth certificate even if it is as patently obvious as the nose on your face of what each line means. I found a way round this in that the mairie usually stamps a photocopy with an official stamp and writes on there that it conforms when the kids have needed translations done for official documents at Lycée. At this stage however you shouldn't need to be too worried about such things as long as you have the usual passport and birth and marriage certificates in english to start with.

[quote user="ALISTAR"]

[8-)]

Can anyone tell me what documents I will need to have translated on moving to France upon the purchase of an abode? I have the distinct impression that I'm standing on a very wobbly rock mid channel as the tunnel is closed today.

[/quote]

"Just" to buy a house, then none. For other tasks (mainly revolving around starting a business), then you may need certified translations of your birth & marriage certificates. After all, you passport is in French anyway (quite why, when 1/3rd of the worlds' population speaks chinese, I don't know) & your driving licence is pictorial!

[quote user="Cassis"]I've never beeen asked for a translation of any of our various UK official documents yet, either.
[/quote]

Oh yes lah-di-dah I'm alright jack with your proper sized birth certificate when you know some of us have only got the bastardy one which gets you nowhere.

One rule for all - NOW! [:(] 

We've never had to provide a translation of any of our British documents either. I think it may depend on where you are and how popular that area is with British home owners, permanent residents or otherwise. For example, CPAM Manche has an English-speaking helpline and some of the staff speak English too. If you're moving to the Cantal or Lozere, though, you may find things a little less British-user-friendly.

Archived