Complete France Forum

1 white chauffe-eau, hanging from the wall....

Julie & Steve

I mounted a 200 litre  chauffe-eau using the 4 supplied coach screws on an external wall and sat back and watched as I turned on the water and the thing filled.... The screws and the wall didn't budge but the welded hanging brackets started to ever-so-slightly move. I quickly placed a timber support under the tank. I know the tank has moved because the support is now firmly wedged and it's been like this for a couple of months now. I expect that some distortion is normal but how much is normal? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Should I pluck up the courage to prise out the support, or are these things supposed to sit in a tripod using the brackets for stability only?

Steve

[quote]I mounted a 200 litre chauffe-eau using the 4 supplied coach screws on an external wall and sat back and watched as I turned on the water and the thing filled.... The screws and the wall didn't budge...[/quote]

The instructions for my Sauter tanks say that the brackets alone must not be used on tanks over 100L. I.e. for the 200L tank you must use a tripod as a minimum (in my experience, the brackets add stability).

A tank with 200L of water in it weighs the best part of a quarter of a tonne. It is unlikely that a couple of welds on a bit of 16 guage steel will hold that...

Steve

You have brought back some memories...

I was putting in central heating as a favour for someone I knew. He said 'I'll fit the bracket for the boiler' which he did . I picked up the cast iron boiler, went up the steps with it placed in on the bracket and sort of relaxed and then the fixing bolts pulled out of the wall and all of a sudden I had to take the weight of the boiler again and not fall off of the steps . It is now a golden rule with me that if I am fitting a boiler I fit the bracket.

Paul

We always recommend and fit a tripod for anything over 150litres for safetys sake. If there is no place for a tripod secured tank, then you must use special fittings to secure to a solid wall and not plasterboard,usually a gable-end.

To change the subject slightly, why can you buy one of these that heat the water by electricity for about 100-150 euro's but if you need one with a heating coil to run from the boiler they cost about 500 pounds. Or does anyone know who makes them in France and makes/sells them at a reasonable price. We have an old one that runs off the boiler  that is coming to the end of its life.

Steve

[quote]To change the subject slightly, why can you buy one of these that heat the water by electricity for about 100-150 euro's but if you need one with a heating coil to run from the boiler they cost about ...[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend the use of a UK indirect water heater. French C-E with indirect heating coils start at about 600E.

Nick,

That's fair comment about not using a UK cylinder in France, I have also heard you can blow the thing apart. My argument is the difference in the cost between putting an electrical element inside one against a heating coil.

Surly it can't be that more expensive? I know you can get stainless steel ones that  I assume are the same spec as the unvented ones available in the UK.

The one we have at the moment is a metal one (not stainless or copper) purchased second hand from the local plumber but the bottom has gotten weak and small holes are being made by the water pressure when full. We have tried to get a plate welded on the bottom but its got to a stage where I don't trust it hence my quest for a replacement and noticing the difference in cost.

Steve

Ballon Rechauffage Mixte (electrical heating and coil for CH heat) do cost around 500 Euro. They are generally better made and insulated that the cheap Chauffe-Eau at 110 Eur plus. Bear in mind manufacturing volumes....I suspect that the likes of CM/Pacific/De Dietrich sell 50 Chauffe-Eaus to every Ballon Mixte.

For those who want to know, a 28kW boiler (not heating rads at the time) will heat a 200L Ballon Mixte to 65C from cold in about 35 minutes. It takes 6-8 hours by electricity alone.

Sorry to bore the "crotte" out of everyone, but:

Just finished a 300L Pacific Ballon Mixte/Lambo 32kW heating/hot water system. As part of the performance bond, we have to measure the achieved performance once the system is "Mise en Service".

The boiler was set up correctly, so we were achieving a calculated 31.5 kw.

The time to heat the tank from the starting temp of 14.6C to the set temp of 65C took 26.5 minutes.

The time to heat the tank from the starting temp of 14.6C to the set temp of 65C (it overshot by 6C, with a hysterisis of about 8C......,

Sounds fascinating! Like watching a kettle boil. C'on guys, there's more to life, than staring at a white cylinder holding a stopwatch...

200 litres of piping hot water + one teenage daughter spending 1 hour in the bathroom = 1 flooded floor (with floating discarded clothes) , 0 dry towels, 50 cotton balls (dubious colours) swimming in a sink full of scum encrusted water + 1 cold shower for the next person minus shampoo. (I was going to mention the splatters of yellow goo on the mirror, but that's probably way too much information) 

I doesn't matter how you heat the tank, there's never any hot water when you want it.

I thaught everyone knew that? 

Steve

Yep, stick it on a tripod - we did cos it's one hell of a weight! We also ran four half inch (don't start me off on metric) studdings right through the outside wall. Overkill maybe but screw/bolt fixing on to some of these walls can be a nightmare.

Archived