Complete France Forum

having electric and telephone installed

richard

Having brought a property in south west france  for holidays .we have had an electrician put in electric, sockets, Lights cooker points etc  then we had to have a trench dug up our garden £900 just for the trench  then  a meter box installed then we have a appointment for the electricity company to come out to our property and inspect it all before turning on the supply, they refused to turn on as 1. we did not have the plastic bath panel earthed?! 2. we did not have a telephone line, so we earthed  a plastic bath panel the rest of the house was earthed where it should have been! then we arranged for the telephone to be connected, we explained how far the property was from a neighbouring house they said no problem and we paid and arranged for the telephone to be connected on the day of connection they refused as it was to far away, and a survey had to be done.( wasted trip if there could be one over to france to meet the telephone engineer) have just recieved news that they will put in a line to the bottom of our property we then need another trench to the house and then they will connect it in all another £900 for a telephone line we dont even want or need as we use mobiles whilst in france and like the fact we dont have a phone. has any one else had this problem.?!! why do we need a telephone line to have electric put on ?!!and is there a consession if it is going to cost us this much all for the sake of them switiching us on?!!this has been going on for a year now and we just want to have the electric on .

This is a new one on me... I know there are regs about installing phone sockets and data cabling in new build installations but I've never heard of a Consuel certificat being dependant on a working phone line.

One the subject of the plastic bath, are you sure they didn't mean the metal legs supporting the bath?

paul

I was failed because my o/head lighting/shaver units in the bathrooms didn't carry a double-insulated logo or a sign saying "pour raisoirs seuelement" on them!

To pass the Consuel you need to meet the current wiring regs, and for permis de construire issued after 2003 that means an RJ45 point in each main  room.

Quite sensible really , having bought a new house in the UK notably lacking in telephone points.

However it is probably worth checking if they have to be live telephone points,I think all you need is for the house to be wired ready for the phone, thereby avoiding the France Telecom connection cost.....until you need ADSL. .

Thanks for reply

Consuel came out and checked and said the telephone line was not connected, have already put in the telphone points., so cant be passed! how do i find out wether it needs to be connected or not for the certificate?

as for the bath legs were earthed but have earthed panel just to get certificate!!!!

Richard

Archived