Complete France Forum

insulation...cheapest and best option....

Blade

we want to show the beams on our ceiling so cannot be too thick (ideally). we have seen some silver foil ones but seem to be expensive. They are thinner and it represents about 250mm of the usual stuff but it seems pricey at a trader here in cahors at 13euros per metre. any ideas appreciated. thanks!

unfortunatly you get what we pay for super nine in my opinion is great this is the layers of foil tridome in carcosonne it was only 140 euro

20m2 but you have to double batten and use the tin foil tape on joints not using this voids garantee and its performance

are you detached because any insulation on top of the rafters will bring your pitch line higher

celotex or kingspan would the option then

but back to the point fibreglass / rockwool would be the cheapest option between rafters

double batten would be on top of roof rafters that would be the super nine or king span then timber battens running down the pitch of the roof then your roof felt and then the tile batten running the usaul way this would give you sufficient air flow up and over the roof reducing condensation and future rot

your suggestion in my opinion will be the cheapest.

insulation (rock wool) pushed up between the rafters then batten to support the plasterboard is the old way and can be sufficient foil back plaster brd is good it will act as a vapour barrier donot pack the insulation to tight it could restrict air flow wich will cause condensation and long term rot white fungire is the first sighns of this if you can keep a gap between the felt and the insulation the better

hope it might help pete 

Its really one of those 'get what you pay for' things. Try to get the foil stuff as above, its so easy to fit, takes little space and in the long run, will save you money on heating, other more bulky stuff will be more difficult to fit, may need wooden frameworks etc and so might not be as cheap as first thought

yes as usaul the women are right i am a carpeneter but mainly carry out one of houses and exstensions in uk we just bought two barns in gers in august and started to renovate them for a second home i like to move but her indoors will not yet because of schools ( going dont say it shes a fool) still if you need any advice give me a shout  and any body else ,with out this forum i be struggling pete

sounds good. what about work in france? where you based in uk?[quote user="peter gers 32"]yes as usaul the women are right i am a carpeneter but mainly carry out one of houses and exstensions in uk we just bought two barns in gers in august and started to renovate them for a second home i like to move but her indoors will not yet because of schools ( going dont say it shes a fool) still if you need any advice give me a shout  and any body else ,with out this forum i be struggling pete[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Hi, we have just bought the silver insulation for a floor .. it's called Airflex and we paid approx. 10€ a square metre, and we are very impressed with it, expensive but easy and quick to use and yes it is equivalent to 250mm and really your only option if space is tight. Don't know whether you can get Celotex over here, but when I was working in the UK it worked out to about the same price. it's has the same UV values but is a rigid board.

If you can afford it go for the best you can .. it'll save you a fortune in the long run. Good luck

www.pwb53.com

I don't want to hijack the thread but while I have your attention....

How does the best of the foil compare against the 200mm rockwool in terms of sound-proofing?

I have a cathederal ceiling barn (1st floor to roof so only about 5 or 6 m high) with standard 75mm chevrons. So whatever I do I'm going to lose the wood and end up covering it with either plasterboard or lambris. However it's going to be our living room with the hi-fi and the TV and it's hard up against our neighbour. Doing some work in there recently (plumbing) in it's uninsulated state I was appalled to hear how far the sound travelled when I left the radio on and went off to look for a tool. The walls are 50cm granite, so nothing much gets through that, but the sound simply flys out of the roof, so for us sound insulation is every bit as important as the R-value.

Have any of you had this concern?

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]I don't want to hijack the thread but while I have your attention....

How does the best of the foil compare against the 200mm rockwool in terms of sound-proofing?

p

[/quote]

It doesn't compare I'm afraid. I used it to insulate a grenier bedroom in one of our houses (for much the same reason as you) and whilst the heat insulation was remarkable, the sound insulation is non-existant.

We used Airflex (or similar) to heat/cold insulate our roof. Detached so sound not an issue.

Though it SEEMS expensive vs itchy/scratchy it is clean, quick, easy to fit and join etc. We fitted it sideways, stapled to the underside of the rafters thus leaving an airgap of around 50 mm under the tiles then fitted metal rails to purlins thus creating another 50 mm airgap between insulation and plasterboard.

If labour time and cost are irrelevant then stay with fibreglass, it is cheaper to buy but I HATE it and it seems to hate me.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

If labour time and cost are irrelevant then stay with fibreglass, it is cheaper to buy but I HATE it and it seems to hate me.

John

not

[/quote]

I know what you mean John, The worst job I have had to do in all my time in France was to try and single-handedly pose damn-great rolls of 200mm laine du roche in a roof from below during the canicule. Done up from head to toe in protective garb, masks and goggles; sweating like a pig - ghastly time.  But it sounds like if I want to be able to play the stereo without worrying about madame next door then I'll have to do it again  !

p

Archived