Complete France Forum

Build with French bricks?

Jonzjob

I am about to build a small wall, 1.25 x 2.8 meters. I have the bricks. They are the terracotta type, 20 x 20 x 50cm, with 12 horizontal holes through them. I have built bits of walls in the U.K. with bricks and blocks, but I sense that if the same method of laying the morter out on the top of the lower llayer and then getting the holey brick and trying to slap a gob of morter on the end will fill the holes and not actually stick the bricks together very well. Can anyone help me on this please

From looking at the finished walls of our car port it would appear that the horizontal layers of morter are layed as above, but it looks as if  the morter in the verticals between the bricks is poked in with the bricks in place?

John.

It'll depend on how thick your mortar mix is. Get it right, it'll stick to the end, holes and all, then go into the holes as you push the bricks together, forming a strong bond.

Myself, I LOVE French breezeblocks with their indented ends, the outer parts touch, the inner is filled with mortar and a good, neat bond ensues. Easy to get 'em level and upright, once the first is done, too.[;)]

Alcazar

" terracotta type bricks are normally used for inside use and are joined with plaster not sand and cement!!!!!!"

dave

ps        I still cannot get out of the habit of buttering up the ends of blockwork!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I think that the name I have for the bricks may be wrong, because they are definately the out door type. The abri (car port) is built with them and so are the bits of the house that you can see the bricks inside. It's the abri that is having the wall built onto it. I don't think that there is enough of an eara to worry about air circ. so it will be the slapping of the morter onto the holie ends for this lot. Hope that I get the mix right???

One good thing is that with the size of the bricks it won't take long! Then with the door and the windows fitted I can have a workshop again and get on with making my wooden toys.... Anyone need a 'hobby horse' for the forum  [6]!!

John.

[quote user="Lilly"]Our builder is not putting morter in between ( vertically) as he says that this is to allow air flo for full thermal insulation, and incidently although they are inside they being mortered!![/quote]

That sounds like a tale to me... you can have air flow or you can have thermal insulation but you can't have both !

p

Archived