Complete France Forum

Ruins not shown on the plan

bigjimbishop

I have an old barn in ruins with 3 walls standing 2 metres high.

But it's not marked on the plans at the Marie.

Can I 'repair' it ie put a roof back on it with out permission?

I know it always pays to ask permission but out of interest if it is just a pile of stones

which miraculously grew a roof over night are they gonna get me?

If you demolish a building then do you inform the Marie so new permissions are needed to use the site?

I seem to remember the rules are different in UK if you rebuild on an existing footprint of a ruin.

Jim

Strictly speaking you need permission to either repair or demolish.

However if its not on the plans then it might be hard to prove that you had knocked anything down.But I wouldn't count on it!

Also if you knock it down without permission you won't have anything to prove that a building had already existed on the site; not that that would necessarily mean anything as far as giving any precedent for building a new residential property.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Strictly speaking you need permission to either repair or demolish.

However if its not on the plans then it might be hard to prove that you had knocked anything down.Bbut I wouldn't count on it!

[/quote]

Ah yes, but post hoc some charmer is bound to come along and point out that therefore this isn't a repair and that you have built something where nothing existed before without a permis de construire.

p

There is no one nosier than the french local where you live. When we go walking, all the ladies seem to have to read the names on the letter boxes to see who lives there and if they know the name or not and then a general discussion on what has been done to the property over the years - so beware of doing anything without proper sayso first.

Archived