Complete France Forum

Cellulose sanding sealer

Jonzjob

Of course they do. I've used it for years and find it both much better than synperthetic and it saves on my beer bill too (hic!).

For me it does a very good job and I used to buy it by the gallon before we moved over and now I have my workshop operational again I need some. Not as much though now...

John.

My job at present is making a set of 'in pool stairs', not the ladder but proper in pool steps. At the moment I have started the mold for the GRP, got 10 sq meters of chopped strand mat and have to get the release agent, gel coat, polyester resin (that should be a good sub for the sanding sealer?) and acitone to clean brushes, not to sniff. They are going to be 1/4 round and a 5 foot radius. Good game, good game!!?

The last time I did a job like this was to make a GRP nose cone for an 850 formular racer, in the bathroom of the flat we were in. I was NOT popular!! sorted my sinus problem though?

John.

hi

ok . take it that because you want cellulose sealer that you are going to spray finnish..????

you can buy raw shellack here very cheap so mix your own 1kg of shellack in say 5ltrs of cellulose thinners should give you a good starting point.......

poor dead beetles

dave

Hi Dave, no it's not for spraying. I make small wooden boxes, toys and a load of turned stuff/ The finish that you can get from the sealer is about the best I have had and have seen. I thin it and just brush it on, lightly sanded and wax polished. You have to have a good surface to start with, but it's worth it.

I don't use it on the wooden toys though. Sunflower oil on the Elezabethan style babies rattles and something like Humbrol on the other toys. It's my hobby and I love it....

Next time at the sheds I'll look out for it.

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

My job at present is making a set of 'in pool stairs', not the ladder but proper in pool steps. At the moment I have started the mold for the GRP, got 10 sq meters of chopped strand mat and have to get the release agent, gel coat, polyester resin (that should be a good sub for the sanding sealer?) and acitone to clean brushes, not to sniff. They are going to be 1/4 round and a 5 foot radius. Good game, good game!!?

The last time I did a job like this was to make a GRP nose cone for an 850 formular racer, in the bathroom of the flat we were in. I was NOT popular!! sorted my sinus problem though?

John.

[/quote]

Glad it's not only me that has taxed my ever-loving doing these sorts of things!

Best one used to be baking Araldite when bonding things, like steel inserts in racing cylinder heads. In her oven! Stinks of bad fish!

I gathered from Tom, of Titan Engineering, (The guy who invented downdraft heads for 1,000 c.c. F III "Screamers" in the late 60s) that his first efforts were also baked in his wife's oven!

Thanks for that one Dave. I wonder wot the name is in French, I'll have a look in our dictionary. We are going into TriDom this morning so I will look out for it. One of my favorites is the Danish Oil too, but I don't think I've tried the finishing stuff yet. Axminster are very good, I've used them for years. Good for advise too on their tech line!!

John.

hi

just thought i would show you the finnish   here     http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?sc=1&multi=1&addtype=local&media=image

you can knock back the shine with wire wool and then polish like above .

I saw Norm making this blanket box on the new yankee workshop just had to have a go ,along with nearly everthing else he has made....

dave

Archived