Complete France Forum

Cost of paint !

Frederick

I recently called into our local Mr Bricolage .....outside on display was a patio table set.....just what I needed...so bought a table and 4 chairs.....I also bought two and a half ltrs of paint to do the shutters..........guess what was cheaper....yes... the patio table and 4 chairs!..The paint is supposed to be good for 10 years ......so.....I am now looking forward to a close examination of the shutters in 2016 to see if  it  "does what is says on the tin  "  ......  £40 or so for the paint .... I wonder if I will be around for a refund if it peels in nine  years time ?

I have recently had new shutter fitted and purchased the wood treatment from Leylands, in the UK.

Not cheap but certainly not as expensive as Sadlins e.g. and most certainly not as dear as France!

Leyland have recently purchased Johnsons Paints, which is a trade product.

Next job is the outside this Autumn: and that will be Leyland Wall paint, which is "guaranteed" for fifteen years. I remain to be convinced! However, it is far cheaper than French equivalents.

Screwfix sell some Leyland products, including wall paint.

One caveat here: apparently, certain French paints are designed for French houses: they need to "Breathe", as damp courses can be quite rare! Sealing inside/outside walls in with non-permeable treatment can so, I am told, promote damp and humidity problems.

I have found the cost of paint varies a lot in France.  You can pay a lot for paint (even in the “cheaper” Bricos).  However, if you are selective and keep you eyes open you can find sources of cheap paint.  It took me some time to find the cheaper paint sources and this will probably not happen if you are not living in France.  The cheaper paints I use have so far had no quality issues.  They apply well, last well, no problems.

I have found that quality also varies quite a bit (does not seem related to price).  I have had some quite expensive paint that failed to dry after 3 days so I ended-up having to remove it with white spirit and getting different stuff.  I have found some undercoats so thick they don’t cover much area.  For me it has just taken time to find the correct brands for different type of paint at reasonable price.  I don’t know if I ever went through the same process in the UK as it would have been experience accumulated over many years there.  I have certainly has some completely rubbish paint in the UK (sometimes from reputable manufacturers).

Although not practical for me to get paint from the UK, even if it was I would not bother as I can get it from some local sources just  as cheaply in France.

I have also not found electrical fittings any more expensive in France than the UK.  That said it is quite a few years ago I re-wired my house in the UK.  However, I have not been “shocked” by the cost of fittings (switches, sockets, etc.) in France – and I tend to get the decent quality Legrand ones as well.

Just my (limited) experience.

Ian

Archived