Complete France Forum

Should ridge tiles be cemented on?

westland

Could anyone please tell me if the ridge tiles on a roof constructed of modern tuiles terre cuite should be cemented on.  We have had small extension roof done today and before we enquire with the roofer I would like to know how we stand.  We know that the ones on our old roof are cemented on and thought that they should have done the same with the new ones rather than just being sat on top.  Thanks.

P.S. just for interest, the roof is approx 4mtrsx7mtrs, cost 7,200 euros (which includes the 19.? vat as is counted as new being an extension) and it's just a year since we first asked for the devis for the extension.

We use different slates but our ridges are ALWAYS well cemented on as is the normal practice up here, therefore I would think the same rule applies to your rooves there and it is also a safety factor when the strong winds blow too.

Ours are also cemented on and there is a fancy 'bishop's mitre' shaped ridge of mortar between each ridge tile and the next.  But ours is an old house (250 years old).  Hang on, looking out the window with the binocs, I can see a neighbour's pavilion with terracotta tiled roof and their ridge is cemented as well.  I guess without it there is the risk the ridge tiles can lift in exceptional wind or something.  But that does not mean there are not other means of fixing.

Thanks for the reply.  We are  in the Limousin and we are having heavy thunder storms with gale force winds at night.Our village had the church spire demolished a few years ago due to the high winds, so you have also raised an issue that I hadn't really thought about.  Just when things were going so well. We were happy enough with builders who did the shell and I've always been totally confident that the work would be done well from past experience with a plumber and electrician. However, looks like we'll be off to the co-ordinators office tommorow, will have to mention the raining in where the roof joins the old one also.  Ah well, it'll get sorted eventually.

We had part of our housere-roofed in January with Roman Canal tiles to match the bit that had been re-roofed previously. The ridge on the bit that had already been done had been cemented and our roofer told us that with Roman Canal tiles, if you buy the proper ridge tiles, then it is supposed to be a 'dry' system. We let him fix the new ridge dry and got him to remove the old cemented ridge and re-do that properly too. We had a bad storm last night with very high winds, but no problems with leaks or tiles flying off.

From memory, the 'dry' system involved a roll of special felt (for roof ridges) and mechanically fixing the tiles to the roof (with nails or screws, can't remember which).

So, I guess the answer to your question will depend upon which type of tile you use. If Roman Canal tiles, then I believe the correct method to fix the ridge is a 'dry' system i.e not cemented. However, I would recommend that you verify this withyourtile supplier - living in the Charente, there is no shortage of suppliers or manufacturers here!!

Regards

Warren

I've just looked at the ridge tiles for the 'BA13 system of tuile mechaniques and I can't see anywhere to nail or screw through so I would expect them to be cemented in place.  The oly problem would be with one of the patented ventilation systems Ithe one that looks like overgrown corrigated cardboard but in plastic which I believe vents the hot air at the ridge, but they probably use special (and even more expensive) tiles.

I too live in the Limousin and am constantly amazed how quickly the weather can change. Last night was a case in point. I was working the garden in the evening, potting up veg plants and - thinking to myself how totally still the air was - set about applying a bit of Round-Up (generic) to some of the acres of nettles and unidentifiable weeds. I'd been at it for about half a tankfull when I caught sight of the armageddon-black sky and realised we were in for a change. Within the space of about 10 minutes we went from total stillness to a theatrical storm with full stereo sound and special effects to rival Hollywood at its finest. I found most of my potted seedings under the hedge this morning!

A wind which can shift trees would have no problems with a ridge tile or two!

p

Ridge tiles can be cemented or dry fixed

Generally cemented but there are many ways/types of dry fixing kits .

Normally with new roofs but it’s a bit like a good sweet shop you can pick and mix.

When we ran a UK roofing contractors firm we had two whole draws in a filling cabinet Of just veneration and dry fixing leaflets.

Plus there are ways of secret bedding ridge so that you don’t se the cement but I have not seen this done in France  

Many thanks for all of your replies. On the way to our co-ordinators office this morning we  " swan necked" at every newish roof that we could, some seemed cemented, some not, or had maybe been nailed on.  When I mentioned this I was met with a resounding non, and not much else, I asked re nails/screws, non.  However, they will be round in the morning to inspect the work as at the moment our main worry is the leaking.  I hope that no one has had too much damage with the storms over the past few days around limousin, and maybe elsewhere.

We recently had part of the roof replaced. I noticed that the builder when replacing the ridge tiles hadn't cemented them, as had been done previously. He told me that cementing was not correct and showed me the holes for nailing. They laid a beam of wood along the ridge and then nailed the tiles to this, so that each tile was held by a nail and by its neighbour. Hope this helps.

Patrick

Archived