Complete France Forum

Barn door hinges

Deimos

I've one barn with the massive double doors (the sort with a smaller door built into the larger doors). Hinge on one of them looked a bit bent so I checked a bit further and its quite difficult to describe but; the hinge is at the very foot/bottom of the door. It actually looks like a large blunt pin/spike that protrudes just below the bottom of the door and rests on a metal plate mounted in the ground. As this pin is very blunt it appears that there is very little stopping the door from "jumping" off this plate and falling out (i.e. pin slides of plate and bottom of door falls outwards). Were this to happen it would not be dangerous as the top hinge would stop the door from actually falling off, but as its such a large door it would be pretty difficult to get back in again.

The "blunt spike" bit on the door is now a bit bent and the strip that is bolted to the door a bit rusty (probably weakened and thus it bent under the weight).

Never seen any hinges like it around. Has anybody come across such things and are they easy to be replacement ? Any ideas where ?

Whilst the door will not fall badly were the bottom hinge to jump out, I doubt I could get the door back by myself (far too large and heavy) so I'm keen to get it fixed before I have problems but the first thing I need to do is find a new one.

Also, what sort of artisan would actually do such repair work (i.e. get/fix a new hinge to the door). Seems a bit "heady duty work" for a menusiere but not quite what a standard builder might do ? Any suggestions about the best trade to contact ?

Many thanks

Ian

I dont know where you are but here in England I have used strawberry bank forge to copy hinges from old doors in our house to match new ones in the extenstion. He did them from photos and measurments. If you want me to i can send you his name and number hes in devon[:)]  

Archived