Complete France Forum

Cleaning a flue liner

Richardk

We have a Godin wood-burner with a 130mm flue pipe. From looking in the brico's no one seems to stock a nylon brish in this diameter, only sizes bigger.

When cleaning a flue, should you use a brush to the diametre of the flue, or one bigger?

Thanks,

Richard

Well Richard it's better to know twice than not at all. I would think that an oversized brush would be the thing because you can't get any side pressure on it when it's up em (sorry, slipping into Dad's army then) up the flu. So the only way to get any pressure is with the bristles pushing out at all ways. I may be talking nonsense, but the principle sounds right to me?

Have fun. Just after we moved in here we had the sweep in and he couldn't do anything because there was a damper that was hinged on one side and so cloged up with sh!t it wouldn't open. I had to get a small ladder in the chimenie and bash the thing out. I would have made a good extra for Mary Poppins!

Why not check out the chemical ramonage products?

The better ones come with an inbuilt warranty against chimney fires.

If you already have a liner, it is mainly a matter of shifting the burnt-on deposits and if necessary soot.

A woodburner which is operating properly will not deposit much soot as the combustion principle means that most carbon products are consumed, internally. Burning carbon based fuel, such as wood creates carbon monoxide (CO) as well as Carbon Dioxide (CO2): in a properly maintained poele the Carbon Monoxide burns in the stove (That's the blue flames). These gases take up deposits through the principle of convection, increased by the forced draft of the chimney; (Hot air rises etc).

Problems come mainly from using "Green" wood and the incorrect type of wood; such as pine, which emits significant residues from the gum. No normal chimney brush will shift these. However the chemical stuff should. If heavy, then simply use two applications.

They are available for coal-based fuel, wood and even oil, BTW.

Check in the bricolage outlets and even Champion.

Also, check with your house/contents insurers, of course.

It does seem that the "Ramoneure's certificate annually" does not apply to all underwriters and can be thus consigned to the Old Wive's Tales file!

You can buy a herrison(hedgehog) to drop down the chimney to clean the flue or actual chimney. Its a steel or galvanised spiky ball or oval  which you attach to a piece of rope and pull up and down from the top, its pretty effective too. I bought one of those aspirateurs for cleaning ash out of the stove and use that to clear the first part of the flue at the back as after a season of use you would be amazed at what builds up debris-wise inthat section. I gave up with the chemical cleaners years ago as they never seemed to burn properly and made no difference at all besides that, you are supposed to do it every few months if you read the instructions.

We always advise people to do both the chemical ramonage (and keep the certificate with the packaging as proof of last sweep) and a couple of days afterwards once all the hard soot or tar has dissolved use the hedgehog brush to sweep the remaining soot out of the chimney. I am very surprised nonetheless that your insurance company has not requested a certificate.

check us out on http://ruralrenovation.free.fr

I may be a bit late replying but I've just seen a nylon herrison 125 diameter today in BricoMarche.

I'm a bit concerned about pushing one of these up our flexible liner as I'm worried it will either get stuck, as the liner curves off to the left, or will damage the flexible tube.

Can anyone advise about the flexible liner as I really don't want to damage it?

Thanks,

Catherine

www.pictureburgundy.com

Catherine  -  thanks for the tip on Bricomarche...I'd tried one in Lezignan but will give Narbonne a go now seeing as they seem to stock the items in sizes less than 200mm in some branches at least.

As I have a spare chemical log thing lying around I'll give that a go and then sweep a couple of days later.

And as Gluestick says, the old wives tale can indeed be relegated to the bin with regards to having to have a chimney sweep certificate for your insurance each year. Whilst some insurers do still require it, others (such as AXA) as various threads on this forum have already mentioned do not. Naturally every chimney sweep will still say 'you must have one' though!

Can we arrive at a true bill, here?

1.    Is a sweep's annual certicate essential to meet the terms of all  house insurance policies in France?

2.    Is a chemical treatment (with its own insurance warranty) an accepted substitute, i.e. accepted by insurers?

3.    If the above is not so, then how can the householder use the checmical treatment and then buy a hedgehog and D.I Y. (as suggested previously) as they would not then be insured for any fires caused by a chimney fire?

Personally, I have received totally conflicting information on this issue; mainly "Essential" from UK residents and second homers and the reverse from French friends!

So which is it people? Please![8-)]

Don't forget the pompiers. They can charge you if called out to a chimney fire and you have no certificate. Apparently not all do but some do. They seem to be getting stricter about what they will and will not spend their time doing - hence the variability. For example, I know one of my local fire services will still clear a hornets nest from a chimney for free ("all part of the service"), but others have said their fire service no longer does this.

Ian

Its probably more of an issue for residents and the chimney is in use a lot more for a lot longer - more to be cleaned out and more change of a fire. 2nd home owners probably rarely use their chimney (in comparison) - little build up in the flue plus less use less likely for a chimney fire.

Ian

I've bought one of the chemical logs and it contains an insurance certificate that you have to send off to the log maker; not to your home insurer. 

It is insurance policy through AXA providing cover in case of a chimney fire that your own insurer does not cover, or even if you do not have any fire insurance at all.

The instructions say that use of the log is in addition to a mechanical sweep.

Perhaps we could carry out a sort of straw poll, here. Does your policy specifically state that you must have an annual sweep's cert, or not. And if yes or no, which insurer?

I did not actually say no cert. required, what I said is below.

I am still little wiser about yes or no, however! And insurance companies worry me! Considerably! Too many bad experiences about the small print!

Quote:

It does seem that the "Ramoneure's certificate annually" does not apply to all underwriters and can be thus consigned to the Old Wive's Tales file!

Do you seriously think I'm going to wade through my insurance policy to answer this question?

Right, I've read it and there is no mention of requiring a certificat de ramonage yearly, biennially or otherwise.  What it DOES say is that if there is damage caused due to lack of maintenance of which I should have been aware, then said damage will not be covered.  So I assume that if I have a chimney fire caused by lack of maintenance, the damage will not be covered.

This is an AXA policy through BNP (brand name Natio Assurance).

Archived