Complete France Forum

Painting over yacht varnish and woodstain

dmcd

I wish to paint over interior pine panelling covered in yacht varnish and also some covered in woodstain. What kind of paint should I use? Can I paint directly over the varnish and stain? If not, what preparation – sanding, priming or undercoating etc – is required? Any advice will be gratefully received.

Dave

Very difficult to make the paint "Stick".

Personally, I would consider stripping it: try Mangers Sugar Soap. Not sure if this still works as the formula seems to have changed a bit. If it does still work, it is like a miracle! For some reason within a short time, the varnish bubbles and literally falls off!

Alternatively, you have to seal the rubbed down surface with something like size. Not sure if you can buy this still, but it is Rabbits Foot Glue (Honest![:D]), dissolved in hot water.

It sticks well and gives a rough surface so the paint can adhere.

Last time I used it was circa 1974: we bought a house from an estate, previously owned by a senior naval chap who had painted it like a naval station! Green distemper walls, sealed with varnish. A nightmare![:@]

The size worked OK, though...........

Still, the garden was a delight. As my late Mum, a keen gardener said at the time, "You have something of everything." No higher praise could have been given in her book.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived