Complete France Forum

Size of breaker to protect supply?

tj

Hi

Question please, I have only a 25amp fuse on the incoming supply until EDF change it. In the meantime I want to install the consumer unit and wiring etc, and I assume using / running circuits upto 20 amps should be ok?

thanks in advance

[quote user="tj"]

Hi

Question please, I have only a 25amp fuse on the incoming supply until EDF change it. In the meantime I want to install the consumer unit and wiring etc, and I assume using / running circuits upto 20 amps should be ok?

thanks in advance

[/quote]

Yes, although if you have a builders supply, the chances are you will be limited to 3Kw by the main EDF breaker.

In fact the constant current rating of the fuse is going to be a alot higher than its stated rating. These fuses are "slow blow" and need something like twice the current drawn through them for a definate period of time (couple of seconds) for them to "blow". Surges shouldn't knock them out.

Thanks Nick

It is a regular supply , only the house has been unoccupied for many years, but the basic electrical installation still works, even the 30 year old light bulbs.

The board has the usual stuff there, only old brown "Thomson" bakelite ( looks like it anyway) and above no consumer unit, just two big white ceramic fuse holders, a couple of 10amp fuses I guess!, the whole house runs off those at present.

Will EDF neccessarily change the lot, or just upgrade the fuse?

regards 

I had a similar installation reconnected by EDF. In my case they checked and sealed everything up to their 500ma disjoncteur differential including changing the link to give a 30ampere supply or whatever abonnement you have paid for.

In my case the wiring was and still is very dangerous with 80 year old shellac and cloth insulated wires, but in their view it is downstream of thier responsibility.

Hi

Called into local EDF this afternoon, they are coming at 8.30am tomorrow to do the neccessary.

They are putting in a 30 amp supply, the guy said that would be enough, i'm not so sure, but he said it should be and is a lower standing charge, so we'll see.

I just hoping the other stuff, meter, disjuncteur etc is ok, since they are bakelite and look like new!

Archived