Complete France Forum

Old Plasterboard....!

rangeela

I am looking for advice on what to do on top of old plasterboard.

I'm redecorating some rooms in the house which has had new double glazing put in. The installers as usual made a mess of the existing wallpaper and the plaster around the windows and doors is not very even. I've started peeling off the existing wallpaper with the view of repainting directly onto the plasterboard but in some places the plasterboard paper has come off and there are a few holes which need to be filled in.

My question is what would be the best way of preparing the plasterboard walls for painting? Should I put on a layer of lining paper before painting or is there another way? Also will the lining paper hold on the walls?

Thanks in Advance,

Really all you can do is sand the edges where there is a paper/plaster joint. If you can't get a finish which is so smooth you can run you fingers over the joint and not feel where the paper starts, then you will most assuredly see it even under several coats of paint.

In this case, lining paper is the way to go.

p

I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible and have no prior experience of plastering. So that option is out.

I will fill the holes in and sand paper the edges of plaster around the windows and doors.

Could I use some sort of primer on the plasterboard to help in the adhesion of the lining paper? Will this be effective in the places where the paper has come off the plasterboard?

If so, could anyone recommend any french brand primer I could use?

Thanks.

Archived