Complete France Forum

New generator question

pogo

Seeing as people seem in the know,and rather than hijack someone elses post,I will ask a new question here.

I want to be able to run,in an emergency as in the other day, a few items. A couple of  40w lamps,a fioul central heating pump,and a tv dvd sky box. During the day,i may unplug all these and run a fridge freezer,to top it up. I really don't see the need of running anything else on a 36 hour basis,so would appreciate if someone could tell me what size generator,with budget in mind, I need to run this.

I noted that there are some very technically minded people out there,but I read it like this ;

'the initial start up load is differblah blah blahzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'[8-)][8-)][8-)][:$]

So simple ,plain english,preferably monosilliba..........monosullen........... words of one syllable.[;-)] 

Thanks all

A Einstein (Arthur!)

In simple terms, a small petrol generator would be fine for occasional use such as you describe. Add up the watts of each - 80 for the lamps, probably no more than 200W for the TV equipment, 100W for the central heating pump, so you would probably be fine with a really small unit like the 720W Wolf unit availale from Screwfix for £70. If you can run to something a bit heavier, it will be no bad thing.

The central heating uses at least three pumps: one for the fuel pump; another for the brûleur; and a third for the circulating pump.

The freezer uses another motor.

So you must allow for the surge current.

Additionally, you must check the duty cycle (l'autonomie). Small generators will only, safely, run for probably 2.5-3 hours before over-heating.

If you "cycle" the use, (i.e. switch it in and switch it out for say two hours at the time with an hour's rest in between), then you can get away with a small unit.

By selectively cycling (changing) the consuming device, i.e. heating- freezer-etc, you can ensure each system has a minimum "up" time during the power-outage.

As Will says- words of wisdom as always! -  if you can buy a bigger unit than the demand indicates, this is a good choice.

With any sort of kit, compressors, boilers, freezers, power tools, whatever, I have always gone for what I perceive as demand: and added 1/3rd!

As American engineers say, so graphically," there aint never no substitute for grunt!"

(or "horses" if it's cars!)

Here's a clever little schema: an Excel file which calculates the power requirements for a standby generator. Simply input the power requirement of your specific equipment and it will produce a total.

Handy! http://www.yorpower.com/domestic-generators.htm

(Edit: original URL failed to work: calculator is right at the bottom of the page reached by the above URL.)

Archived