Complete France Forum

buying placo platre on line

londoneye

does anyone please know where you can buy large quantities of plasterboard on line, with delivery, at a reasonable price ?

our local builders merchant is very expensive when it comes to plasterboard, and our nearest brico depot is a fair distance and it would probably take several trips with one of their camions to get the required amount.     any information would be really great.

Few thoughts : I would not want to keep plaster board on site for more than 3 or 4 weeks.

Be very careful to compare quotes including delivery

Some of the smaller operators just turn up with the sheets on the truck and expect you to lift it off and carry in it. Better ones do pallet onto the ground. Best smaller operators will carry it in.

[quote user="Alane"]If you are buying a large quantity you could try asking for a discount at the local yards if you haven't already done so.[/quote]

I tried this recently, it was still a lot more expensive than buying it at Brico-Depot.

A friend (who works on the black for a registered artisan) offered to help, the artisan got a bulk quote for me from the same local supplier and was really pissed off to find out that they had quoted me less as he spends several thousand euros a month with them.

thanks all; the leroy merlin is looking good at the moment - about half the price of our local builders merchant, where we already have a discount and still pay over 12 euros for a sheet of 13mm 280 x 120 - outrageous , especially when we will need around 100 sheets.

am waiting for response from leroy merlin on delivery charges, as nearest store is a fair distance away.    it seems you cant order it on line from them but can go into store and order and then get delivered...

sorry no luck, in case anyone is eagerly awaiting delivery costs !

called the store and they will not deliver outside of department (we are a couple of km over border).

back to drawing board - does anyone know off-hand the size of brico depot lorries you can hire please, to save another painful conversation in pigeon french ?

At our Brico Depot near Bernay the Location de Camionnette is 11 Euros per hour plus 15 centimes per kilometer. This is from time of departure onto the road after loading rather from time of pickup and lunch times aren't counted at our Depot. Quite a bonus as it took us nearly 90 minutes to load up. Fairly large truck with canvas removable canopy - sorry I can't give you the exact size although as I recall they had a few different trucks and vans. I still have the info sheet from the Depot but apart from a picture of a truck it doesn't give the spec. As an indication 4m lengths of timber wouldn't quite fit in and we loaded 25 sheets of placo with no problem as well as a large amount of timber. Not sure if 100 sheets would have gone on as I don't know weights of the sheets - they were very helpful so might be worth a call if you are confident in the language over the phone. 500 Euro cheque de caution required. I have a Brico Depot catalog so can let you have the phone no. of your nearest branch if you let me know which it is.

just a quick update for information.   knowing o f my problem, my neighbour kindly stopped in our local (around 40 km away) castorama for me as he was passing it, and asked them about placoplatre.   the price per sheet was around 30 cents more than brico depot (but i can live with that) and delivery (one load) would be 71 euros.     Not ideal, but would still save us several hundred euros over the local builders merchant.   You do have to go into store to order though, but delivery costs seemed reasonable (relatively speaking) for the distance and weight etc of the placoplatre.

But, is it heavy. I've just had a load of 3m x 1,2 delivered and it was all I could do to lift it by myself (maybe I'm not very strong). I needed a 2nd person to help me lift it to the 1st floor (plus I managed to break a sheet). 3m stuff seems to break in the middle quite easily.

I got charged 23€ for delivery (which included some wood, rails, montants, insulation, etc.

Ian

where did you buy yours from not very strong man ? (!!!)

I couldnt even lift a quarter of one myself, but having struggled to help OH (who for some reason always makes sure i am the one walking backwards - how does that work out ?) I can vouch for the weight !

Were your sheets taped together in two's face to face?

They are obviously twice as heavy but the combined pair are stiffer than single boards.

I find the easiest way to carry them on my own is to stand them on their end, walk backwards to them and grasp each side with a hand, then stoop forward carrying the weight on your back and stagger in the required direction!

It works very well assuming you have the headroom.

Follow the above advice at your own risk!

I was trying to lift then up to the 1st floor (in through a door that opens to the outside). Must confess that two together was too much for me to push up to the required height (i.e. not enough strength in my arms to straighten them with two boards together so I separated them - which was a pity as they break a lot easier when moved individually (the 3m ones anyway)).

They basically had to go in through the door (which is less than 1.2m wide) as there is no way they would fit going up the stairs which turn through 90 degrees on their way up.

Still they are all up there now and I'm knackered.

I think lifting them into place to be fitted will be OK though - more like moving them around rather than lifting them.

Ian

I found the tools for one man handling of boards from Screwfix invaluable - although I've not seen them in France and I'm not sure if Screwfix will deliver there now. One is essentially a hook with a handle for carrying and the other is a device which held lift the boards in place. Difficult to describe but links here -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=82374&ts=38225

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A335464&ts=38264&id=14453

Probably not for the pro but very useful for moving and placing boards singlehanded, or even double handed into a difficult location.

we had our placo delivered by Reseau Pro. It came on palettes and they left it as near the house as the lorry could get.

Not sure about the delivery charges as we got lots of stuff at once so must have exceeded any minimlum charge!

I don't think it was the cheapest, but at the time we didn't have access to a trailer big anough to lay the boards flat. Having said that, it was probably cheaper than numerous round trips with car and trailer!

We didn't order online - we went in and ordered.

A friend has researched cheapest-for-large-quantities in a big way, and there can be a lot of variation. Either phone them to ask or go in, and take a name or reference for the quote. Don't worry about your profficiency in french either - she freely admits that her french is carp, but fills in the gaps with English words spoken with a french accent! I don't know how she manages it - my french is good, and i've been mistaken for french on numerous occasions, but she can still communicate better than me at times :)

Archived