Complete France Forum

question for clever plumbers - bending pipe

Danny

Any suggestions appreciated for bending (successfully) PER 12mm tubing...

I have noticed that the toilet water supply pipe here (12mm PER) has been bent twice around the cistern very neatly before being connected. I am tempted to replicate this on a new toilet which I am going to install. However all my attempts at bending the PER into 90 deg result in crimped tube no matter what I try.

So, how did the installer do it in the existing WC ?

Anyone know how? If not I will make do with straightish supply but I am intrigued how it was done

Danny

There's 2 ways of doing it. 1) using a Pipe Bender which is a wonderful an expensive tool which allows you to bend tubes without crimping.  2) a pipe spring which is cheap and effective and fits inside the tube to keep the pipe wall apart as you bend. 

A better alternative, especially for connection to a cistern is a flexible pipe with a stainless steel braided outer.  This has the advantages of being easy to fit, bends to any angle, comes in a variety of lengths and allows for different expansion rates of cistern/pipework thereby avaoiding leaks (and the don't cost a lot either)

Hi Danny,

I have limited experience of plumbing but I am fairly expert at bending pipe (race-car exhausts and stuff). 90 degree bends are difficult if you insist on small radius. It can be achieved in a commercial bender, with the application of heat, but you usually end up with some rippling.

Why not use a swept joint?

Good luck..................................

I suspect he or she may have used a metal former to get the 90 degree bend then heated (nothing like as much as copper) and allowed the pipe to cool in the position. I normally use a 90 degree cut off valve then feed the PER into a reasonably thick stud wall. Not a great fan of braided connectors but they tend to come with all taps these days.

[quote user="Heath"]Special PER bending sprinds available here and other places.[/quote]

but PER is rotten stuff for 'memory'  i.e. you bend it and leave

it and 24 hrs later it's nearly straight again, the only bend it seems

to remember is the original coil !

There are plastic collars you feed the per through which quite a tight 90 degree radius but they are as ugly as sin.

p

On the few occasions I have used a pipe bending spring I couldn't get it out again ! ! Someone once told me, or was it on this site (?), that you can fill a pipe with sand, stop it at both ends to keep the sand firmly in place and then try and bend the pipe. I've never done it, but unless I hear otherwise on here, I'm going to give it a try the next time I need to bend a pipe. A bit of heat on the copper can only help too.

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]On the few occasions I have used a pipe bending spring I couldn't get it out again ! ! Someone once told me, or was it on this site (?), that you can fill a pipe with sand, stop it at both ends to keep the sand firmly in place and then try and bend the pipe. I've never done it, but unless I hear otherwise on here, I'm going to give it a try the next time I need to bend a pipe. A bit of heat on the copper can only help too.[/quote]

If you "over bend" it then release back to the desired bend radius it tends to free the spring, obviously a pull wire attached is necessary if the whole spring length is in the pipe, lubrication also helps.

If considereing heat, the thread is about PER pipe so dont use a torch (obviously [:D]). I understand hot water helps but have never tried it.

Archived