Complete France Forum

EDF and consumer units

Hi

I have spent all morning searching site for some specific information, but apologise in advance if I have missed it somewhere.

We need (within a few months or so) to get EDF to connect us with a new power source.     We have a house (connected) and also three other buildings, all joined to each other in a line, which are not connected.     Our electricity is supplied via overhead cables, and the overhead cable in the road is around 5 metres from the first building.    

I am assuming (probably incorrectly!) that any charge for the cabling will be to the first building.       Would I be correct in saying that I could get away with one counter, or would I need one counter for each building.   Is the cost of a counter a standard charge does anyone know ?    If so, how much are they pls ?  If I had a separate counter for each building, would I have to pay the 'standing charge' for each counter (oops nearly had a really nasty spelling mistake there!).    Has anyone done similar please?

Also, I have read of the body  (or association or whatever) called Promotelec and a document which can be downloaded as regards the 'french norms' for electrical installation in a new build.     Firstly, I have had no success finding the document, yet alone downloading it, and secondly does this document cover (before I carry on trying to find it) the norms as regards the number of tv , phone points, sockets, which are required for each room please.

I hope someone can help.

I have a dual tariff meter in the house and a basic tariff one in the gite (semi-detached properties).

The house meter was originally installed inside (before out time) and when I asked EDF to  change from 3kVa to 6kVa, they also updated the meter but did not change its location.

The gite meter is situated on an outside wall.

I pay rental for each meter. The charge depends on what type of meter you have chosen and what power is supplied.

See here for more details: tarif électricité

hmm - I understand that I would have to pay for at least two standing charges - ie the one I currrently pay for in my house, and a new one for the outbuildings, but would i need three more counters, thereby paying 4 standing charges, if you see what i mean ??    

thanks for reply clair, i will look at the site you have mentioned, which may answer my query anyway.

[quote user="londoneye"]

Would I be correct in saying that I could get away with one counter, or would I need one counter for each building.  [/quote]

You dont say what usage the other buildings will have, but unless you have a reason for wanting seperate supplies , I would upgrade the incoming supply, ( no charge ) and take a branch off into the other buildings, there are a number of ways to do this, but thats another issue.

regards

Tim

if you would like a copy of the Promotelec guide let me know and will give you a link to download it.

As discussed above you could fit your own sub-meters to each of the properties, I buy mine from BDC in the UK for only £12 but please note that it is (at the least technically) illegal to resell electricity in France as no end of people have reminded me, however I have heard of several gite owners that do exactly this to probably british clients in the main.

I am making 7 furnished apartments, but as they will be rented to the French, who seem to know their rights, I am doing the correct thing and getting a 400 amp supply. The cost for EDF to connect will be over 3000 euros this is just to drop the cable down the wall and connect, I am responsible for all the meters and isolating switches etc which if fitted by an electrician would likely cost that again.

Also note that EDF will not make the final connection until the above has been done and all the dwellings have passed a Consuel inspection.

Good luck.

I am really sorry, and I think I am being unnaturally dense today.     I think I have confused everyone (and myself also) by my terminology and general lack of knowledge of all things electric.

Let me try to clarify, if anyone can bear to continue reading...

I have no interest in knowing how much individual consumption is used by each 'dwelling' for want of a better word, therefore no need for sub-meters etc.   I guess all I want is one new meter put in by EDF, and then from that to run that supply to three individual dwellings ... and I guess that would mean running the meter to three individual consumer units.  

In that way, now I am thinking about it more logically, if, for example, I calculated each 'dwelling' as requiring a 6 kw supply, I would need EDF to run the cable approximately 6 metres from the power line to the first 'dwelling' and then instal a meter on the inside of that dwelling, and a plastic thingie for reading the meter on the outside.   Does anyone have any idea of how much this might roughly cost?

My ongoing costs would then be the yearly standing charge for one 18 kw supply.....

Does this make more sense, and would doing above cause me any issues ?

Archived