Complete France Forum

UK LPG range cookers.

Chris Head

Chris - yes, as long as you make sure you get the jets suitable for LPG (either butane or propane, although the pressures are different between the two gases the jet sizes are the same). We have bought gas hobs in Britain and used them succesfully, with the alternative jets, on French gas. Jets for mains gas are no good.

We get white goods at trade price in UK but it was cheaper for us to buy a Range Cooker,double oven  etc at Connexion.  When you work out price of delivery, very heavy item, plus possible damage in transit from UK. and installation etc,they do the lot and install by a qualified gas fitter. They gave us a 5 year warranty and we managed to get a 400e discount on the colour/style we wanted. Save yourself the bother. I have no doubt there are other suppliers in your area.

Regards.

Thanks for that Will.

Herself is looking at higher end Smegs, no way am I going to shell out for a new one, occasionally ex demo and used models come up on ebay which are affordable and as we have to go back in July we have the time to look out for one.

Two things, Chris:

We've done this, although ours runs off a 1200kg Propane tank buried in the garden. The plumber piped it inside the house, where he terminated it ready for a French flexible pipe connection to the coker. We dug out, laid and buried the outside pipework (all 40m of it), and he connected both ends.

Problem was, the UK sourced cooker had a female connection, as did the cooker-end of the french flexible pipe[:(]

I solved it with a male/male 1/2" BSP connection, bought at a UK bottled gas supplier, and some Calortite, used to seal it to the cooker.

I gather that connection IS available in France, but I searched in vain.

Secondly, BEFORE buying any cooker, contact Smeg, (or ANY supplier you choose), and ask whether LPG jets are available for that cooker, ALL their cookers, or just some. Also ask if it's a user-fit part, or has to be done professionally.

Ours is a Stoves duel fuel, and came jetted for LPG on my orders. Some makers don't jet theirs, some provide spare jets, some don't do jets for certain cookers, so be aware of all this before committing to buy.

Best of.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Stoves dual fuel range cooker, when I contacted Stoves here in the UK to ask if it was possible to buy jets to convert it to take bottled gas, I was told very bluntly that they would not recommend using any appliance bought in the UK in France as it "hadn't been designed for use in that country"[8-)]!! They then went on to give me the contact details of Stoves suppliers in France! Either I must sound very thick, or else cookers got very complicated when I wasn't looking![:D]

Nope!

Thick is the person you spoke to at Stoves.

In order to run most gas fired appliances on LNG (Liquified Natural Gas), LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas), Butane, Propane, Butane-Propane mixture, whatever, you simply need to change the inlet jets, adjust the air mixture sleeve and take to the road.

Few manufacturers these days, fail to supply a pretty full range of jets. CH boilers, for example, have different jets (to be combined with different adjustments of the gas valve) for different heat outputs.

Means one core device serves a range of different markets.

Same as a car; all a matter of Fuel:Air Ratio for correct combustion, for desired heat output.

To be otherwise, would be like having to design and make a totally different car to run at sea level; in mountain areas; in the desert; in Alaska.

Perhaps that's where Delorean went wrong? (It was Northern Ireland![blink]).

[quote user="Jo"]I have a Stoves dual fuel range cooker, when I contacted Stoves here in the UK to ask if it was possible to buy jets to convert it to take bottled gas, I was told very bluntly that they would not recommend using any appliance bought in the UK in France as it "hadn't been designed for use in that country"[8-)]!! They then went on to give me the contact details of Stoves suppliers in France! Either I must sound very thick, or else cookers got very complicated when I wasn't looking![:D]
[/quote]

Ours is a Stoves, and we got the same, even though it WAS jetted for LPG, they wouldn't help with my query about fitting it to a French LPG gas supply, (my cooker had a female fitting and needed a male.

I think it's C.Y.A syndrome.

Archived